Spec me a 33 hp commute bike

Tea Drinker
Don
Hi,

Spec me a bike thread, I am taking my test soon and own a 125 Varadero at the moment which is easy to ride and very comfortable as all I use it for is commuting into London, must be 33hp, I'm tall so looking for something similar to the Varadero style, must be comfortable, I sat on a DRZ400 the other day and the ride wouldn't suit a commute.

I'm quite happy with the small amount of restriction the DRZ would need to be 33hp but I don't want a big bike restricted as I'll probably sell it as a 33hp bike in 2 years and get a bigger bike.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Associate
To be honest you would be better getting a larger bike and spending 100quid on a restricion kit. You will save money in the long runn as you wont have to by a bigger bike at a later date.
I highly recommend an yamaha fz6 for commuting , ive commuted 15k in 9months very comfortable and good vis of the road ahead. 60mpg un restricted so you might get more.?

Tea Drinker
Don
OP
Thanks for the replies, not really looking for a restricted 600 as when the two years are up I'll be looking for something bigger BMW enduro esk and I'd really liek a V twin the varaderos v twin is so nice to ride

Associate
You could restrict the FZ6 and ride it for 2 years to get used to weight and size before derestricting, Cheaper than a new bike ;)

Tea Drinker
Don
OP
I'm used to a bigger bike I had a Bandit 600 for a couple of years but I've got to go through the test again, cut a long story short I was lazy and didn't send the pass certificate in so I've got to do it all again, I'm not really interested in a restricted 600 as my Bandit was restricted to 33hp for a year and I didn't like it p/w ratio was poor, I had a CB400 for a couple of days which was a much nicer ride at that power but the frame is too small, I really like the power delivery of the v twin rather than the revvy 4 pots

spp

spp

Associate
When I was restricted I had a honda cb500 which was restricted to 33bhp. Dirt cheep, reliable, ideal for commuting. You probably won't lose much on it's value when you sell it to get something bigger either.

Bat

Bat

Associate
I'd say go for something cheap, Japanese and low power to begin with. CB500, ER5, CBF500. Going for a twin over a four will give you the benefit of more torque to make up for the throttled BHP.

As you say it's going to be a stop gap so try and go for something reliable which will not depreciate to much. I had a Honda CB450DX when I was on 33BHP and it was perfect..

Back
Top Bottom