Spec me a build

Associate
Hi All,
new to PC gaming and wondered if someone could spec me a build. It will purely be a gaming rig and currently have a monitor etc. My budget is about 2k but with a bit of wiggle room either way. Hoping to go nothing bigger that a mid tower.

Man of Honour
Hi I usually do 1440p/4k gaming and just play usual AAA games and large number of different MMO's like WOW, Star Citizen etc
My understanding is that WoW loves the X3D CPUs and that Star Citizen is one of the few games that can scale to more than 8 cores, but I'd suggest you check that out first, because otherwise the balance between the CPU and GPU are wrong and you should just get the 7800X3D instead with a 4080 Super or 7900 XTX.

My budget is about 2k but with a bit of wiggle room either way. Hoping to go nothing bigger that a mid tower.
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £2,080.87 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Soldato
Or do I wait for the new Intel 15th Gen due later in the year?
Also remember we do not know if the current 13/14th gen issues will also follow to 15th gen as there is very little info on the problems and whats causing it so may want to wait before buying 15th gen as soon as its released

Associate
Firstly, I'd wait for 9000 series myself and check reviews before i did anything

but if just gaming and wamnt now, just go 7800x3d...it costs £320, but OCuk have just added £60 to price for some reason, so buy elsewhere..just added the 7700x as a representative price(though if you're gaming at 4k, doubt you'll see much of a difference as generally gpu bound...id seriously wait for 9700x reviews as s/b a good allrounder as if on a par with the 7800x3d, will beat it in the games that aren't x3d lovers, and shouldn't be that far behind in those that are)
went with the rm1000x shift as if you upgrade few years down the line the 5090 meant to have a 500w+ power draw, so you'll want the extra capacity this gives
in meantime b650 gaming wifi more than enough for all the kit at present...the new motherboards x870/x870e will add usb 4 as standard and gen5 gpu/m.2 slot as standard, so no scrawling through specs to double check..newer cpu/boards will also allow ram up to 8000 speed, and the boards will be able to regulate speed vs latency, depending on game...
32gfb ram s/b enough...with new cpu/boards allowing up to 8000speed, buying 65gb now is a waste..by time you need it, much faster ram will be around
7800x3d doesn't need massive cooling and the arctic is decent, or peerless assassin..I just prefer look of this
stuck 216 case in, as good...really, spending £2k, you could go for something a bit more aesthetically appealing if you wanted
, but generally costs more as you need fans wiyth it etc, and becomes a personal choice
also added the sn850x 2tb as on offer, and far more durable and faster than the sn770 for £20 more

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,964.89 (includes delivery: £0.00)​
From what read the new intel are build on a 2 nm process rather than 7 for existing cpu (amd on 3nm), so they s/b far more efficient, and it's the old process where intel had to ram up the power to get the performance to compete with amd, which really caused the proble for 13th and 14th gen...one would hope newefficiency gains will greatly reduce power draw, so help with current problems, but you're probably waiting till end of year for the cpu/mobo's if going by past releases​

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom