Spec me a Canon lens

Associate
I'm taking the family to Disney World towards the end of June and fancy hiring a good Canon lens to capture some good pictures.

Any suggestions for which lens to get?
I don't want it too huge as I'll have to carry it round all day.
Price not a major consideration as I intend to hire it

Thanks

Associate
I'm taking the family to Disney World towards the end of June and fancy hiring a good Canon lens to capture some good pictures.

Thanks

on a crop? either rent the 17-55 F2.8, or just buy the tamron 17-50 f2.8 non vc.

Caporegime

Thanks

What camera?
What. Do you like to photograph?

Associate
OP
It's a 400D.

Mainly family shots, and possibly try and get some Disney firework shots as well - I'll need a tripod as well for that though

Thanks for the responses

Associate
the tamron 17-50 non vc was my favourite lens on a crop body. great focal lenath for many occasions. For family shots it will be perfect. £251 from a reputable retailer. OR just rent the canon.

Would probably cost you less to buy the tammy and sell it (I do this instead of renting.... lens have amazing ability to depreciate slowly.)

Last edited:
Soldato
What do you guys think of the 15-85mm

The 15-85 is an excellent lens and a good choice for a walkabout on a crop body.

It's cheaper than the 17-55 and has more range but lacks the constant f/2.8 aperture.

I'd say the Canon 17-55 and 15-85 are the two best choices for a walkabout on a crop. The Tamron 17-50 is also a good choice and significantly cheaper, but you lose the image stabilisation (stay away from the VC version as it's optically inferior). I used to have the 17-55 and loved it.

Associate
The canon 17-55 2.8 usm is ment to be fantastic. L like quality images.
The focal range should be perfect for your needs as well.

Soldato
The canon 17-55 2.8 usm is ment to be fantastic. L like quality images.
The focal range should be perfect for your needs as well.

From what I hear, not any better optically than the Tamron, and a hell of a lot more expensive. The only real reason to get a crop in the first place is cost, so there would be no way in hell I'd spend that sort of cash on a lens that was restricted to crop sensors.

Edit:
If your sure your renting, then the 17-55 might make sense, but that's a fair amount of dead money...

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's not dead money at all, it is optically better than the tamron and many have said better than the 24-70mk1. It's hardly dead money because you will get nearly all of it back if you decided to go full frame. After 2 years of ownership I'd lose £100-£150 absolute tops.

The only way I'd use a 24-something on a crop is if I had a 10-20mm sigma/canon as well.

Soldato
I am a huge fan of large apertures. If you see yourself going full frame in the future:

24-70L 2.8 (Mk1 is a great lens if you can find one) - "translates" to a 38-112 which is fine and covers a really useful range.

If not:
17-55 f2.8

Soldato
The 17-55 is better than the Tamron I'm afraid. Not by much granted but it is still better, plus it has image stabilisation if that matters to you.

As for dead money, any decent lens is a good investment. I sold my 17-55 for more than I paid for it.

Soldato
It's not dead money at all, it is optically better than the tamron and many have said better than the 24-70mk1. It's hardly dead money because you will get nearly all of it back if you decided to go full frame.

The only way I'd use a 24-something on a crop is if I had a 10-20mm sigma/canon as well.

As for dead money, any decent lens is a good investment. I sold my 17-55 for more than I paid for it.

Edit:
If your sure your renting, then the 17-55 might make sense, but that's a fair amount of dead money...

Soldato
I am a huge fan of large apertures. If you see yourself going full frame in the future:

24-70L 2.8 (Mk1 is a great lens if you can find one) - "translates" to a 38-112 which is fine and covers a really useful range.

While a fantastic lens, the 24-70 is a heavy lens to use as a walk around, especially when your main intention is to take some snaps at Disney.

Back
Top Bottom