Spec me a car

Soldato
I work from home so during the week i do short trips around 5 mile round trips to the gym/supermarket. At the weekends i'll do some longer motorway journeys 2-3x a month around 60-70 miles each way. I just sold my Citroen c1 as this car was fine for what i needed it for but the timing belt was on its way out so wanted to get rid of it.

I haven't driven any other cars so i'm really not sure what to go for. I have read that Yaris's are very reliable?
budget - up to 10k

edit: nothing with a wet belt please!

Last edited:
Yaris is a good shout.

I'm not familiar with the current ones, but if you can get one with a petrol engine and no turbo.

In fact, in general, my advice would be Japanese, petrol engine with no turbo.

I saw a few cars ( skoda fabia, hyuandai i20) with smaller engines but are bigger than my c1 with a 1 litre turbo engine. How does that work, surely bigger cars needed bigger engines?

Last edited:
Unfortunately it's a trend of modern cars, but what they do is instead of making say a 1.6 litre petrol engine and getting whatever power, they instead make a 1 litre engine, and put a turbo on it

The advantage is you get better MPG for the same power.

However, it's all political BS, and there are lots of compromises with doing that.

If you can find a petrol engine without a turbo they are generally better, but I appreciate in smaller cars probably getting few and far between.

Sounds similar to wet belts in that they can do better emissions but they aren't reliable.
Thanks for the advice.

Anyone familar with Suzuki swifts? I woud go for the Yaris but i think if i'm paying 10k i want apple car play which a lot of them don't have.
From some research they seem to have good reputation for reliability, its also a mild hybrid so that would help on petrol costs too.

What one do people think is better?

I'm pretty much set on Swift after seeing that it came top of a reliability survey and it has car play and is a reasonable price.

Back
Top Bottom