Spec me a case!...

Associate
Currently looking at the Lian-Li PC-P80 and the Lian-Li PC-P60, but am undecided as to which one to go for.

The components I'll be putting in the case are as follows...

x1 ASUS Formula II motherboard
x1 AMD Quad-Core CPU
x2 DIMMs of 2GB RAM
x2 8800 GTX cards (which are almost the entire horizontal length of my ALX tower)
x1 Creative X-Fi soundcard
x2 DVD drives
x1 Floppy drive (Don't ask...)
x2 SATA hard-drives (need space for 4)
x1 Turbo-Cool 850w PSU

... Wouldn't mind some space for water-cooling in the future, too.

Is there any reason for me to opt for the larger PC-P80 over the smaller PC-P60? I don't want a HUGE case, but want something with lots of internal space, and plenty of modding potential.

Soldato
P60 and P80 both have PSU in hottest position so I wouldn't recommend them. (still you'll probably have hard time in loading PSU to even 50%)

A20 is probably rather expensive and considering hot (& not fastest) CPU choise and PSU you probably aren't after quietness so you might not want door:
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/produc...223&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=62&g=spec
V1010 would be probably cheaper:
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/produc...209&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=62&g=spec
That dual chamber design just has its own challenges for example in cabling...

E-ATX motherboard support is good measure for lot of internal space and case which has space for long graphic cards and also leaves working space is always big in depth:
http://lian-li.com/v2/tw/product/upload/image/V1010/v1010f2.jpg
So if height is problem A70 would be four cm lower than P80 and could take triple radiator to roof: (PSU on top prevents that in P80)
http://lian-li.com/v2/tw/product/upload/image/A70/detail.jpg

BTW, easier to just integrate drivers into installation media than to always toy with stone age floppies. (Google nLite and vLite)

Associate
A20 is probably rather expensive and considering hot (& not fastest) CPU choose and PSU you probably aren't after quietness so you might not want door:

how do you mean not the fastest

i have one of these and find it's one of the best case's Ive every bought
it's extremely quiet and very cool

At £200 i will admit it is a bit expensive and OCuk still don't seem to have any in stock yet.

I know I'll not be buying another case for at least another 5 years. This one will see me through quite a few rebuilds due to its great build quality

Associate
OP
Soldato
I'd go for the PC-P80 if it was me.

Doesn't matter that the PSU is at the top, its the same for hundreds of other cases...who cares?

Unless your room is really tight for space, and you can afford/justify spending that kind of money, then the PC-P80 is made of win.

If not, then still go for the PC-P60. They are both amazing looking cases. The PC-P80 is better though for the huge amount of space it gives you below the motherboard. Perfect radiator space, I would think?

Soldato
The PSU at the top is fine and will make no real difference. If anything it is actually very helpful due to the fact the PSU is, and always has been, very good at getting rid of hot air. The PSU isn't known for over heating...

- Pea0n

Associate
The PSU at the top is fine and will make no real difference. If anything it is actually very helpful due to the fact the PSU is, and always has been, very good at getting rid of hot air. The PSU isn't known for over heating...

- Pea0n

Agreed, the top fan pulls all that hot air out anyway before it really becomes an issue.

Note: This was before I did some updates and cable managed. But even when it was in this state, I was still reporting temps well below the status quo. Even with that horrid damn stock intel fan.

Martyn

Soldato
Agreed, the top fan pulls all that hot air out anyway before it really becomes an issue.
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5640/sn850452yt9.jpg
Heat source is below PSU, not in front part of case.
With intake nearby in front mid top fan exhausts only air which has just been drawn into case.
Do you really believe that top exhaust fan would be left off from most cases if it actually worked instead of being gimmick?

If anything it is actually very helpful due to the fact the PSU is, and always has been, very good at getting rid of hot air.
PSU=Lots of airflow impedance.
Plain fan can exhaust that same amount of heated air with much smaller RPM.

Soldato
PSU is not much impedance at all. Granted a fan by itself has nothing in the way but any PSU with fans in it will suck air out. In the long run it make near to no difference and to buy a case purely based on that would be silly.

- Pea0n

Associate
Do you really believe that top exhaust fan would be left off from most cases if it actually worked instead of being gimmick?

Taking out hot air as it rises from the top of the case sounds like a good enough idea to me. The fan is mounted about half way, granted, something like a TJ07 or 09/10 would have been a better idea (at the back), but it does its job.

Ofcourse it has little to nothing to do with why I bought the case (it simply completes the look imo). I have a water cooling system in there now. Fact my machine is plagerising maxishines by the day :p

Last edited:

C64

C64

Soldato
the cases that tend to have the top extraction at the back where it should be have the power supply at the the bottom though

Associate
OP
I'd go for the PC-P80 if it was me.

It does seem a bit overkill, though - I'm not even a fan of the size of my ALX case, and it's not even a full-tower. Is it not possible to install an internal water-cooling system in the PC-P60? Or would it have to be external?

Back
Top Bottom