Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
Just about to hit the trigger on the new Ajax camera range. Already have an existing Ajax system and it's a commercial need so happy to spend a bit more for the ease of integration etc.

Current quote is £119.90+VAT for the Ajax TurretCam (8 MP/2.8MM). Am I likely to find better elsewhere? This is via a trade account and cba to apply for accounts with others just to see a price!

Last edited:
Associate
Just about to hit the trigger on the new Ajax camera range. Already have an existing Ajax system and it's a commercial need so happy to spend a bit more for the ease of integration etc.

Current quote is £119.90+VAT for the Ajax TurretCam (8 MP/2.8MM). Am I likely to find better elsewhere? This is via a trade account and cba to apply for accounts with others just to see a price!
Have you any details on the Ajax system you have and rough idea on prices for a setup. They look to have quite a good range for a home setup

Soldato
Just their normal setup - Hub 2 Plus, a few detectors, sirens, keypad, fobs, door and window detectors etc. Below should give you an idea of their bundles:

O6Ula9o.png

Should be obvious from the thumbnails what they included. All come in black too. Trade pricing so you'd need to buy them through an installer (or me/other people here!).

Last edited:
Associate
Just their normal setup - Hub 2 Plus, a few detectors, sirens, keypad, fobs, door and window detectors etc. Below should give you an idea of their bundles:

O6Ula9o.png

Should be obvious from the thumbnails what they included. All come in black too. Trade pricing so you'd need to buy them through an installer (or me/other people here!).
THats very helpful Cheaper than i expected some of the kits. WOuld be great if you could also share pricing on some of their camera/nvr bundles too :)

Soldato
yes, I do, what do you want to know and what is t your existing set up doing for you?

In al honesty, if your existing cameras work and are reasonable quality, you’ll be spending a bunch of money for not much gain.

Soldato
Anyone using a Unifi system ? I’m considering upgrading my Reolink as I just moved to a Unifi system for my WiFi
The best place to ask is in the UniFi thread in Networks & Internet Connectivity forum. There are lots of users running Protect with cameras here. As @b0rn2sk8 pointed out, if you already have cameras, unless you really value the app integration, you’re very unlikely to see much benefit and they’re extremely expensive for what you get.

Associate
Which cameras are best suited for indoors retail store?
4mp or 5mp ideally suited or others?

Needing several cameras.
4 looking along aisles of store (approx 5m distance)
2 above till points (looking directly Down)
4 in store rooms covering full room
1 exterior camera to cover both day and night (low light in evenings/overnight)
16 ch NVR
Remote Access also required.

Soldato

Needing several cameras.
16 ch NVR

Ajax range has everything you need.

Soldato

Needing several cameras.
16 ch NVR

These are very simple requirements. Pretty much any system will do what you want. Because it’s likely you’ll never use the cameras with the lights off you don’t need to worry about sensor sensitivity so much, or even infra red capability. As such, I’d probably go with 8MP cameras and choose the lenses based on the viewing angles you want. You say you only want one outside but realistically you want to cover both sides of your frontage. Those cameras will likely need to be waterproof but the others not so much. For retail I would strongly suggest a camera as people enter the store with a public view screen so they can see themselves and KNOW they’re being surveiiled.

In this scenario I’d be tempted to go with HDCVI cameras rather than IP because you can save money on the cameras and spend more on a powerful AI recorder. People tend to get very caught up in the whole ‘old technology’ thing with HDCVI but in truth they’re generally better cameras for a fraction of the money.

On the recorder do you need integration with the tills? I look after a chain of kebab shops in East Anglia and they have point-of-sale integration which is great because you can see not only the till and operator but also what the operator entered into the till so it can do basic stock controls as well. And when a customer says they paid with a £20 you can see it. Or that they actually paid with a £10 note. Those cameras you want to be vari-focal so you can zoom in on the till area.

For the store rooms I would suggest 360 fisheye cameras in the centre of the ceiling. But you would need a recorder capable of deskewing 4 cameras.

Do you want analytics ie. How many people come in and out of each area/aisle? What about facial recognition for picking up known miscreants when they enter your store? If you’re in neighbourhood watch you may want the ability to search the captured images for gender, coat colour, trousers colour, hair colour, beards, glasses etc.

And if you want remote access don’t skimp on the broadband connection. You want a minimum of 100Mbps upload speed because your images are being streamed from the store, not to it. And you will require off-premises backup to ensure no-one can accidentally pour a glass of water over the recorder after they’ve helped themselves to a case of something from the stores.

There are a huge number of options and this is the sort of thing you can make a really expensive mistake with. Just get three quotes from local surveillance installers and then if you want to do the install yourself you’ll have an informed view of what you’re buying. And don’t forget to register with the ICO and put up lots of signage.

Don
Got a Hikvision turbo 4.0

had it for a while but today I wanted to look back at an "incident" seems with 4 cameras and a 1TB disk it only saves 9 days, does this sound right? seems very short

If so is it just a case of getting a new larger, compatible disk and fitting it? no idea where the system OS etc is stored

Soldato
Got a Hikvision turbo 4.0

had it for a while but today I wanted to look back at an "incident" seems with 4 cameras and a 1TB disk it only saves 9 days, does this sound right? seems very short

If so is it just a case of getting a new larger, compatible disk and fitting it? no idea where the system OS etc is stored

Yes, that sounds about right for continuous recording and yes, just fit a new, bigger disk and the recorder will sort itself out. All your settings should stay the same.

Soldato
Not really sure where to put this, but this is a big enough thread where somebody might have some answers. I'm helping somebody download the occasional file from their ~10 year old DVR recorder, which supports 16 cameras but only has about 8 connected.

Say I try to backup a few hours of footage from the DVR to a USB stick, the DVR system might reboot. As it saves in hour blocks, I just find the corrupted hour and start again from there until I've got as much as I need. I've tried putting some heatsinks on chips that seem hot (maybe about 60c), but that hasn't helped, leaving either the PSU or some ageing capacitors as suspects.

This is where it gets confusing. I can export to either AVI or H264 files - these are the extensions on the exported files. With each backup, the DVR creates an Player.exe file on the USB stick with the H264 codec. I mention this as exporting to H264 files is noticeably quicker, meaning I get more files exported before the DVR crashes. However the files with H264 extensions won't open in VirtualDub2, where I edit the files, but they do appear to play in Media Player Classic.

Is there a known way to quickly convert the H264 in a lossless way for use in VirtualDub2? I insist on using VirtualDub2 to chop the videos, as it's free and does exactly what I want (with the AVI files, at least) with zero fuss. Perhaps I just need to quickly re-encode the files with HandBrake?

I'd like to give a model of the DVR, but I can't as it doesn't have one that I can see. The closest manual, which is Portuguese, that shows the GUI is this one: https://www.interside.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/VTV-Digital-DVR-série-H.264-Manual-8316v-PT.pdf

Last edited:
Associate
These are very simple requirements. Pretty much any system will do what you want. Because it’s likely you’ll never use the cameras with the lights off you don’t need to worry about sensor sensitivity so much, or even infra red capability. As such, I’d probably go with 8MP cameras and choose the lenses based on the viewing angles you want. You say you only want one outside but realistically you want to cover both sides of your frontage. Those cameras will likely need to be waterproof but the others not so much. For retail I would strongly suggest a camera as people enter the store with a public view screen so they can see themselves and KNOW they’re being surveiiled.

In this scenario I’d be tempted to go with HDCVI cameras rather than IP because you can save money on the cameras and spend more on a powerful AI recorder. People tend to get very caught up in the whole ‘old technology’ thing with HDCVI but in truth they’re generally better cameras for a fraction of the money.

On the recorder do you need integration with the tills? I look after a chain of kebab shops in East Anglia and they have point-of-sale integration which is great because you can see not only the till and operator but also what the operator entered into the till so it can do basic stock controls as well. And when a customer says they paid with a £20 you can see it. Or that they actually paid with a £10 note. Those cameras you want to be vari-focal so you can zoom in on the till area.

For the store rooms I would suggest 360 fisheye cameras in the centre of the ceiling. But you would need a recorder capable of deskewing 4 cameras.

Do you want analytics ie. How many people come in and out of each area/aisle? What about facial recognition for picking up known miscreants when they enter your store? If you’re in neighbourhood watch you may want the ability to search the captured images for gender, coat colour, trousers colour, hair colour, beards, glasses etc.

And if you want remote access don’t skimp on the broadband connection. You want a minimum of 100Mbps upload speed because your images are being streamed from the store, not to it. And you will require off-premises backup to ensure no-one can accidentally pour a glass of water over the recorder after they’ve helped themselves to a case of something from the stores.

There are a huge number of options and this is the sort of thing you can make a really expensive mistake with. Just get three quotes from local surveillance installers and then if you want to do the install yourself you’ll have an informed view of what you’re buying. And don’t forget to register with the ICO and put up lots of signage.
analytics and ai face redcognition is that handled on the nvr or additional software? pos overlay is required for the till cams.
fibre connection is in place at the premises.

Soldato
analytics and ai face redcognition is that handled on the nvr or additional software? pos overlay is required for the till cams.
fibre connection is in place at the premises.

The analytics are generally handled at the recorder, they must be if you go HDCVI. There are IP cameras that will do standalone facial recognition but they’re silly expensive.

Back
Top Bottom