Spec me a cheap coffee machine

Permabanned
Hey :p

What in your opinions are the best low-end coffee machines? Preferably 100 quid or less. :)

Thanks.

beh

beh

Associate
A good grinder is just as important, perhaps more so.

For the best coffee within that budget, I'd get an Aeropress (~£30) and a hand grinder of some sort (~£60).

Associate
A good grinder is just as important, perhaps more so.

For the best coffee within that budget, I'd get an Aeropress (~£30) and a hand grinder of some sort (~£60).

Exactly what I was going to say, but you'll be fine with a cheaper hand grinder for an Aeropress. Always buy freshly roasted high quality coffee, never from a supermarket.

Soldato
What would you guys say is the cheapest actual machine that's worth getting?

Machine wise, I bought my dad last Xmas a Bosch Tassimo. It's brill. I thought it would just be a gimmick thing but we use it all the time! Really really quick and there is a good range of coffee's available. They also taste good as well, which is important. :)

It's definitely been a good buy.

Caporegime
Machine wise, I bought my dad last Xmas a Bosch Tassimo. It's brill. I thought it would just be a gimmick thing but we use it all the time! Really really quick and there is a good range of coffee's available. They also taste good as well, which is important. :)

It's definitely been a good buy.

That's not the kind of coffee machine the OP had in mind, I think.

Personally, I would get a Gaggia, one of the entry models.

Soldato
What would you guys say is the cheapest actual machine that's worth getting?

It's not the machine that makes coffee good:

1. Good freshly roasted beans - nothing will help if you put garbage in.
2. Good grinder will grind the beans properly and allowing the flavour to be extracted properly.
3. Good machine will then extract the coffee in the best way.

Now I would, given your budget, go for a good supply (www.hasbean.co.uk) of coffee with a good grinder (ie all your budget) and use an aeropress (additional few pounds).

If you want a cheap grinder then go manual burr grinder.

Soldato
Dont get a grinder that uses blades, they are crap for filter coffee and are just generally crap) (i work in the best coffee shop in the NW ;) )
we sell a good grinder for £45 but i cant remember the name of it right now.
and as for getting high quality coffe, where I work http://www.e-coffee.co.uk/
We buy in the beans green and roast them ourselves. and no i dont work on commission :p

Associate
You won't get good coffee by machine, from scratch, at home, for £100.

Key is good coffee, ground at home. To do this, you need a grinder. After grinding, you need a way of getting the flavour into the cup. Cheapest possible way of this would be some filters, or a cafetiere. Personally, as I mentioned previously, I'd go for an Aeropress.

Aeropress + hand grinder + good coffee = the best coffee for under £300.
Got £300? Then buy a Gaggia Classic (or it's replacement) and and Iberital MC2 grinder.

Seriously.

PS. I'm currently using my £25 Aeropress over my £250 Espresso machine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom