Spec me a coffee machine

Soldato
I'm looking for a machine to go bean to cup, preferably 2 cups at a time but not essential.

I've looked at the Breville Barista Max+ at £350 and it looks good, but I'm no expert so please help me spend my money wisely!

Budget £500 max

TIA

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
OP
No idea of your budget, but these should be decent for the price

Thanks

£500 is my max, so the second model you've linked would be within budget.

Soldato
OP
I'm seeing lots of similar model numbers for De'Longhi and it's a bit confusing. Can anyone spot the difference with these 2 models?

ECAM222.20.B v ECAM220.22.GB

De'Longhi Magnifica Start ECAM222.20.B, Automatic Coffee Machine with Milk Nozzle, Bean to Cup Espresso Machine with 4 One-Touch Recipes, Soft-Touch Control Panel, 1450W, Black https://amzn.eu/d/9CdV1zo

Soldato
Comparison tool on DeLonghi website would suggest it's just a colour difference between 222.20.B (which is described as Black) and 220.22.GB (which is described as Grey Black) - everything else appeared to be the same at a glance

Soldato
I bought a budget (£200) De'Longhi "ESAM2600" 5 years ago, and it's still going strong - makes (IMO) a decent coffee. Unless you want automatic milk frothing, I'm not sure what the more expensive machines would give you over it? (other than maybe looking a bit more posh :p).

Unfortunately looks like they don't do that model any more :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think OP needs to clarify exactly what type of machine he wants.

In the original post he mentioned the Breville Barista Max+ which is not a true bean to cup machine.

Then later on it's DeLonghi models that are bean to cup.

I've asked for bean to cup in the OP, and I've also mentioned the bit about me being no expert and looking for advice from you guys. ;)

Soldato
OP
Comparison tool on DeLonghi website would suggest it's just a colour difference between 222.20.B (which is described as Black) and 220.22.GB (which is described as Grey Black) - everything else appeared to be the same at a glance
Thanks, I'll order the model from Amazon because I see that AO are jumping on the membership bandwagon for best price.

Also thanks to the posters offering advice, it's genuinely appreciated as I nearly bought the Breville :D

Caporegime
I've asked for bean to cup in the OP, and I've also mentioned the bit about me being no expert and looking for advice from you guys. ;)

One of the machines you linked is as simple as putting beans in and pressing a button. With the other, you have to get the grind size and quantity right, and then tamper. They are quite different.

Soldato
Watch out for Breville - the UK brand is different to rest of world.

We have a Sage Barista Express, which is also known as a Breville Barista Express outside of the UK. It's a fantastic machine. In my opinion, it's best value for money out there. The grinder is good enough to start with. Prior to the Sage BE, I had a Delonghi Caffe Corso which was true bean-to-cup. The difference in quality is huge.

As @Ayahuasca mentioned - a true bean to cup (Caffe Corso, Magnifica etc.) does the grinding and tamping. Just fill the hopper with beans and the tank with water, press a button and you'll get a coffee. These machines are mostly for anyone just wanting an average coffee made from supermarket beans. Bean-to-cup machines won't do good quality beans justice.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Could get a Barista Touch used for £500ish.

Back
Top Bottom