Spec me a Compact Camera circa £1000

Soldato
Does anyone have any knowledge on a decent compact camera? It'll mainly be for travelling but could probably become a general carry around camera instead of lugging about my Canon 5D2 typically with a 16 - 35 or 24 - 70 along with a 70 - 200 all f2.8s so quite a heavy combo!

I'm currently trawling the net (talk photography being one place I'm peering into) to see what sort of recommendations are being made.

So far I've had a look at the Sony RX100mk7 (poor image quality mentioned?), Ricoh GR3 and Leica D-Lux 7 as possible contenders. I'm happy to look at second hand to fit the budget and I've seen a few on Wex and MPB in the second hand sections.

Any recommendations?

Associate
I would suggest the Sony RX100 VII as well. I have found it to be the best compromise on size versus image quality. I bought one last year to take to Rome and its the first camera that I have actually enjoyed using on holiday due to its size and ease of use.

The GR3 has no viewfinder which took that off my list despite its excellent image quality. Another alternative would be one of the earlier Fuji X100 series. Loved the colours produced and the functionality. But for me it was still to large to take on holiday.

Soldato
OP
As i said I'm looking through a lot of options just now to see what appeals the most. I'm sure I do have a compact camera from years ago somewhere in the house but i think its got 5mp so looking for something a bit more up to date! I'll keep looking at the suggestions though.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I'm in the midst of doing a compare and contrast. So as above I'm not ruling anything out just yet.

It’s a very good travel camera, 23mm fixed prime lens is excellent all round focal length. Also nice f2 aperture for some separation up close and in door photo light gathering.

One downside is they are out of stock everywhere and scalped. Also over your budget at £1349. Although there is a 2 week old one on MM for closer to your budget ;)

Last edited:
Associate
I have taken the Sony RX100 M5 and Ricoh GR3 on holidays with me and having a lightweight camera was brilliant.
I have also taken the Fuji XT20.

What sort of things do you want to shoot on your travels?

Associate
So many options. I got decent enough results with the RX100 M5 landscape / cityscape stuff but then again my Google Pixel got amazing results in good light and the wide angle got me interesting perspectives. What phone do you have?

Micro thirds could also been an option.

Back
Top Bottom