• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Spec me a cpu for htpc/server

Associate
I want a new cpu+board for my htpc.

It currently runs a be-2350 with a amd card (4530 perhaps) for dceoding video.

This works fine but I now need to use it for on the fly transcoding using air video which it isn't up to. I also use it as a minecraft server but only for 1 or 2 players.

So what would be the best solutiom. Ideally I would like to use a passive heatsink with air passing over from the 2x120mm fans in the antec fusion case. It absolutelty must be low noise.

I'll probably keep the gfx card in and I have 4gb of ddr3 somewhere.

The other option is to keep the current board GA-MA69GM-S2H but it's getting on a bit now

Associate
Whats your budget?

Keeping the Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H you can slot in a AMD Phenom II 965.

If you got £150 you can go for an AMD A8-3870K APU and motherboard bundle.

Associate
OP
I was thinking about £100 but could go higher. I am a little concerned about going from tdp of 35w to 100-125w for those two? I was considering the a6-3500. Is there any reason why I would need the extra power of the 3870 for my usage?

Back
Top Bottom