Spec me a Folding Box :)

Soldato
OP
Shall have to be weekend when I try that VM thing I can't for the life of me find my usb stick. Have to buy a new one. :(

Just awaiting the first results from the rig to show up. Completed an SMP and a couple of vanilla WUs today. Is it me or do the stats pages update quite slowly? And the official stats page forever seems to be updating whenever I check it. A watched kettle never boils I suppose.

I was really naughty and didn't test my overclock when I did it. I literally just upped the fsb and twiddled the RAM divider a little. Stock volts too. I should really give it a torture test but its had a bit of a beasting the last 24 hours and no sign of trouble yet so touch wood everything is okay. I'll really give it some stick at the weekend when I get time.

Heres a picture in the meantime.

photo7jn1.jpg

A bit sad maybe but I really love the colours! Almost like a sunny island with the green, the blue and the amber. *books a holiday*

While I'm on the subject the cooling is a Thermalright Ultima 90 with an Akasa 90mm fan in place. The thermal grease used was Arctic Silver 5 (which, to my delight, I found by chance in a drawer - otherwise it was going to be some generic stuff that came with the heat sink). The case itself has 1x 120mm rear fan and 1x 80mm intake fan at the front.

The temps are concerning me a little because they sound too good to be true. At 70-80% load, the hottest core doesn't go over 41C. Sure, it is cold in the conservatory, maybe 10-15C. If we call it 10C and the house 25C then even adding 15C to the cores only brings it to 56C which still seems cool for a 3Ghz Quad considering my e6300 @ 2.5Ghz hits 48C on an ACF7. Maybe its right and I'm just being paranoid.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Nah that sounds fine for temps at that speed and stock volts, they tend to go up quite quickly from there. Mines running at 51 at 3.4Ghz.

Of course you can get a good one and you might have better luck than me :)

Soldato
aye mine is around 50-55 under full load on all cores but that's at 1.425volts as mine is a crap clocker without crazy voltage!!!

Soldato
OP
Ah cheers guys I feel a bit more comfortable knowing that. Dont know the exact voltage but its 1.2xxx ie less than 1.3 so its probably right. :)

I did plan on catching you up Biffa but there's too much daylight between us I think! :D

Soldato
OP
Well the sunshine today made light work of the cool temps. 41-50C now. Ambient temperature counts for a lot it seems. :D

Its happily munching away on 1 SMP unit (VM Linux) and 2 vanilla units (Host Windows) although strangely only using 3 of the 4 cores. SMP should be using the two core allocated to Linux and the two Windows clients should be using a core each. Bit bizarre. :confused:

Oh, and theres a problem on the stats server as two of my SMP units haven't been credited. :( They seem to be aware of the problem though so hopefully I'll get the credit some time in the future.

Associate
Well new rig is built :)

Had it doing Seti for a few nights now and seems to do a work unit in just over 1.5hrs.

Temp holding at around 46 fully using all core and slightly overclocked to 3.3Ghz

See how it affects my score this coming week :D

Soldato
OP
Good stuff. Have you posted the final specs or have I missed them? :)

edit - I've managed to get the two SMP clients running now so hopefully my ppd will start climbing over the next few days.

Last edited:
Associate
Current main specs:-

Gigabyte GA-X38-DS5 mobo
4Gb (2 x 2Gb) OCZ PC6400 ram
Intel Core2Quad QX9650 (overclocked to 3.3Ghz)
nVidia GeForce 8800GTS graphics card

Back
Top Bottom