1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spec me a game for work trips

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by shiver, Jan 31, 2019.

1. shiver

Hitman

My job has me spending 3-4 weeks away, up to 3 times a year. During this time I am staying in a hotel or serviced apartment.

I do my best to keep busy in the evenings, and weekends are great for doing some activities with friends and colleagues but usually with a heavy dose of jet lag I find myself needing something to distract me in the early hours.

Up until now, I have managed to play a fair bit of Civilization 5 (not a massive fan of the newer Civs). Can anyone recommend a good single player time waster?

The big restriction really is it needs to be kind of laptop friendly... I have a Windows 10 install on my work Mac (i9 / 32GB / 560X 4GB) and Mouse.

2. muttclugg

Wise Guy

Rimworld

3. flibby

Sgarrista

I usually have large/grand strategy games like Total War, Civ, Stellaris, and Endless Legend installed for long trips for work. Builder games like Factorio, Rimworld and Prison Architect are awesome too for sinking hours into. Rogue-like/lite games are great, like Binding of Isaac, Darkest Dungeon, Don't Starve, Slay the Spire, and Rogue Legacy.

4. Woogie

Mobster

I came in here to say exactly this.

5. Terminal_Boy

Sgarrista

XCOM2? Available in both Mac and Windows versions.

Duskers - explore derelict spaceships using drones controlled via a command window. Sounds terrible, but isn’t.

6. chroniclard

Capodecina

Football Manager.

7. Flibster

Caporegime

Knights of the Old Republic and Knights of the Old Republic: Sith Lords (with deleted content patches)

Haven't had a machine without them installed on in a very long time.

8. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Ftl: faster than light

Awesome game

9. WoodyUK

Soldato

So much this.

Don't be afraid to have a Google or watch some tutorials, there is so so so much to it.
    The learning curve can be steep to begin with but is well worth it. That's not to say you won't enjoy it to start but you'll find much more enjoyment when you get to grips with everything going on.

10. Cromulent

Mobster

Crusader Kings 2 is always a good time waster. Also what about the Elder Scrolls games? Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim will easily eat up the hours, and when you add in the fact you can mod them, you'll get even more time out of them.

Also, the Fallout series is another good one to go for. They can be modded as well, and all of those games should run on a reasonable laptop.

11. Raumarik

Capodecina

Rimworld
    Factorio
    Crusader Kings 2

Mostly mentioned already but Rimworld is awesome, looks like **** but is so damn enjoyable!

12. shiver

Hitman

Many thanks for all the suggestions! I'll definitely check out Rimworld soon

13. MouthBoy

Mobster

If you like rpgs what about pillars of eternity 2?

14. Tombstone

Capodecina

I work away from home, often abroad, for probably 6 months of the year, usually in 3 or 4 week blocks, for example I am currently in a serviced apartment in Belfast. I have a list of games that I play on my work laptop, sometimes with the missus on multiplayer on both hotel and, funnily enough, serviced apartment wifis. These are the titles I play through..

Civ 6
    Darkest Dungeon
    Slay the Spire
    Oxygen not Included
    Dont Starve Together
    Rimworld
    Factorio

15. arc@css

Caporegime

Dungeon crawlers like Legend of Grimrock?

16. Poneros

Mobster

They are billions

Very addictive! Also look up tower defense games.

17. AHarvey

Sgarrista

Another vote for rimworld.

I still suggest Uplink to people, it's a cracking game even after all this time and there are a few mods for it to so that it adds extra layers.

18. HazardO

Underboss

Another vote for Rimworld. You'll start out struggling to survive and trying to be a friendly substance farmer and trader, but you'll soon get into the swing of making fine meals and hats out of your enemies.

19. blackadderV

Gangster

King's bounty the legend and armored princess (not the later ones). Very laptop friendly and lot of fun if you like HOMM type games.

Plus of course crusader kings 2 if you can get a complete edition for a good price.

20. agnes

Capodecina

FTL