Spec me a holiday in September

Associate
Hi

Any suggestions based on the following criteria for a week somewhere mid September:-

- weather 25c+
- 3-4 hour flight
- somewhere not too far from airport
- bit of culture (with nice cafe culture etc) and nice beaches (but not typical city break eg Barcelona)
- not too expensive

Initial thoughts were Croatia but struggling to find somewhere that ticks the boxes near an airport

After that maybe Greece, Italy, Spain, Canaries (not Cyprus as been loads with family living there)

Thanks

Associate
Kotor, Montenegro
  • Hub, Dubrovnik in Croatia. Transfer is around 1hr30 by bus or you can do it in about 50mins with a private transfer. Needs a border crossing, but I had no issues with these at the very height of summer. Or you can fly into Podgorica.
  • It's Dubrovnik in miniature, without the hordes.
  • Temps, about mid 20s in September.
  • Options to stay outside of Kotor, within walking distance of the Old Town: e.g. Dobrota.
  • Ace walking trails and sites / things to see / watersports.
  • One of the best views in the Adriatic from the summit of Sveti Ivan fortress, overlooking Kotor.
  • Lacks sandy beaches like much of the region, but you have options.
  • Tivat is nearby for a combo or day-trip
Otherwise, I'd second Alghero. I wouldn't stay there a week, but would do say 3-4 days in Alghero for the cafes, culture, sites etc. Then head e.g. to the north coast for the remainder if you want quiet beach days. I stayed near Lu Bagnu (from memory), in a place that was basically a hamlet with a small hotel, restaurant and a couple of other bits and pieces. The beaches we had almost to ourselves, very nice indeed. That was only apx an hour from Alghero, but there will be nearer options for a mini-getaway.

Last edited:
Associate
Greece - Ionian sea - 33-35' boat for 2 people - lots of charming little harbours and bays to visit.

North Ionian for Corfu, paxos and the surrounding area.
Down towards lefkas for the Inland sea and access to kefalonia and lots of other islands.

Go with a flotilla and learn to sail whilst you're there.

Soldato
Hi

Any suggestions based on the following criteria for a week somewhere mid September:-

- weather 25c+
- 3-4 hour flight
- somewhere not too far from airport
- bit of culture (with nice cafe culture etc) and nice beaches (but not typical city break eg Barcelona)
- not too expensive

Initial thoughts were Croatia but struggling to find somewhere that ticks the boxes near an airport

After that maybe Greece, Italy, Spain, Canaries (not Cyprus as been loads with family living there)

Thanks
Budget? A med cruise will fit your bill starting from Civitavecchia

Soldato
We did Pula, Croatia last year in September and it definitely ticks all the boxes.

Pula itself is a beautiful city with an amphitheatre right in the centre and some stunning architecture. It has plenty of small bars and restaurants and cafe culture is definitely big there. Very tourist friendly and cheap too.

Beach wise, you can get a bus or taxi a short ride to Premantura or Medulin and then you have loads of beaches with restaurants and also some lovely forest to stroll through.

We stayed at Arena one 99 glamping, about 15 minutes drive from Pula itself. It was amazing but if you don't have kids to entertain, I'd look to stay somewhere more central to Pula.

Associate
OP
Kotor, Montenegro
  • Hub, Dubrovnik in Croatia. Transfer is around 1hr30 by bus or you can do it in about 50mins with a private transfer. Needs a border crossing, but I had no issues with these at the very height of summer. Or you can fly into Podgorica.
  • It's Dubrovnik in miniature, without the hordes.
  • Temps, about mid 20s in September.
  • Options to stay outside of Kotor, within walking distance of the Old Town: e.g. Dobrota.
  • Ace walking trails and sites / things to see / watersports.
  • One of the best views in the Adriatic from the summit of Sveti Ivan fortress, overlooking Kotor.
  • Lacks sandy beaches like much of the region, but you have options.
  • Tivat is nearby for a combo or day-trip
Otherwise, I'd second Alghero. I wouldn't stay there a week, but would do say 3-4 days in Alghero for the cafes, culture, sites etc. Then head e.g. to the north coast for the remainder if you want quiet beach days. I stayed near Lu Bagnu (from memory), in a place that was basically a hamlet with a small hotel, restaurant and a couple of other bits and pieces. The beaches we had almost to ourselves, very nice indeed. That was only apx an hour from Alghero, but there will be nearer options for a mini-getaway.

Thanks for the info re: have looked at there before so will research again

And thanks to others for their suggestions too

Back
Top Bottom