Spec me a laptop for mom

Soldato
Mom needs a laptop and I don't have the best idea for what's good or not, particularly in terms of which brand to go for. I have a Dell for work which is 'ok', and at home I've only ever used desktops which I've assembled.

Mom lives in India so whatever I would get would ideally be available there, but if it's going to be significantly better value buying it over here instead, then I'm happy to do that. The brands I was thinking of were Dell, HP and Lenovo (though partly because they all operate in India so hopefully whatever you guys recommend here, should be available there).

Primary use is browsing, the odd Youtube/Netflix, and MS Office. Will never see a game installed on it other than Solitaire or similar. A big screen would be nice - 17 preferable bu 15 minimum I'd say. Battery life would be nice, but less of a concern. In my mind, I was thinking SSD and 8GB RAM at a minimum. Unsure about processor and if i5 would be worth it over i3. More than happy to take recommendations though! Even just which brand to look at would be helpful :)

Completely appreciate that people here wouldn't know what's available over there, but I was just hoping for UK recommendations from brands that are international so I can check - worst case I can always buy here anyway, though would prefer to buy it there just for warranty/servicing reasons.

Oh, budget wise - in my mind I was thinking around the £500 - £600 mark, but if will get significantly better performance for more, happy to go up. Just don't want to spend money on something that is no use (so no fancy GFX cards needed :p). Please don't be overly constrained by the budget as long as the value is there.

Soldato
OP
Another bump on this since planning to buy in the next couple of weeks. I'm currently thinking of Dell Inspiron - either the 3000 or the 5000 series. I'm going for big screen and these are both available in 17 inch. Anyone have any experience/thoughts of these or other recommendations?

Soldato
Any i3 with ssd unless you hate her then get a hdd.. 128gb usually enough I use 100 128s for every 5 256s and 1 512s.. 4gb ram fine

Back
Top Bottom