spec me a laptop please :)

Associate
hey all

need a new laptop and i'm not upto date with current technology (current pc is a 2500 barton)

I'd love a laptop that can fly! maximum budget £1000

looking for the following in a laptop
(1) sexy looks
(2) fast machine
(3) nice long batt life
(4) gfx to play a few games
(5) won't burn me or have heat issues for a few hours use
(6) max 15.4" screen size
obv DVDRW and wifi as std

oh yeah i like those small profile keys not chunky tall ones :p

also have a few questions :

Can i get a 64bit laptop in my budget? and should I?
whats these amd turon64 thingys? 64bit i assume but are they worth having?

I've looked at loads of laptops over the past week but can't make a decision, please make it for me :)

Last edited:
Associate
Hmmmm just a question but why would u want a laptop over a desktop?
I persoanlly have a big problem with laptops cause its hard to upgrade them as their so small.
But i would check out dell.co.uk they usually would have some good laptops or maybe alienwares laptops but you will be paying a lot for the case.
For gaming what type of games hl2? or hl1? just to get an over view of the power and memory you will be needing?

Suspended
I had a amd64 in my first lappy, killed the battery in no time. I suggest a centrino, have a look at the viao's on a certain auction site, a lot of decent ones sell for under 1k

Associate
OP
col20

i don't really want a laptop over a desktop, i just want a portable PC :)
I've had a quick look at aleinware but the seem too expensive (also very similar configurer to dell?)
Gaming would really be hl1 mods, infact as long as it could keep up with a 9800se i would be happy

not too sure about dell laptops yet

gib786 i had a quick look at auction site but would prefer to buy new incase of issues

agreed that a centrino is a must, but would it fly?

Suspended
I sold my lappy in dec of last year an got my current rig, amd 64 400, 1 gig ram, 2 x 120gig hd's, 256mb 7800gtx. However I did buy a 2nd hand celeron m lappy this week due to the tiny 12" screen and weight of the lappy, it aint nowhere as good as my main rig but its still ok to use for a few hours a day. When I had me previous centrino lappy I used that instead of a desktop, seemed good enough to me

Associate
Acer Ferrari 4005WLMi, good looking laptop and preety good specs. Its a bit more than the grand you speced. Ive seen them for £1100. About a 3hour battery life though which isnt amazing. Better than my current laptop tho.

Its specs are:

MD Turion 64 ML37 2.0GHz/1MB 1GB 100GB DVD±RW 15.4"(Wide) (Radeon X700 128MB) WLAN Bluetooth XPH + 5-in-1 Card Reader & MS WorkSuite

If you want battery life though I recomend IMBs.

I sadly cant give any links for laptops but email me (email is in trust) if you want some more advice on laptops.

Back
Top Bottom