Spec me a laptop

Associate
Okay I am going to get a laptop for Uni next year and my Gran's offering to get me one for my 18th with a £500 budget. Is this going to be enough for what I need?(I don't need anything fancy as basically I'm only going to be using it for work and the internet no gaming) any ideas on what to get?
Cheers

Ok cheers for that. What happens if something goes wrong with a dell I heard that the only people that can fix them are dell and they have to be sent back? Is this true or just rubbish?
Also is it true I preferably need to get a non celeron?

Last edited:
GuruJockStrap said:
I'd highly recommend a Dell.

Just got my first laptop from them for uni work. Model is an Inspiron 630m.

Paid £450 and got:

Pentium M 1.73GHz (2MB Cache)
512MB RAM
40GB HD
Integrated Intel Wireless
14.1" Display
Integrated Intel Graphics
Windows XP Media Centre Edition
6 Cell Battery
1 year warranty

At the time of purchase (around 3 weeks ago) there was nothing that could come close to it spec wise for the money.

Battery is great and I can easily get just over 4 hours from it.

My only complaint is the default Windows installation. Dell put on so much bloat its unbelievable. First boot had around 50-60 running processes!!!:eek:

Reformatted, fresh installation of windows and I only have 21, so a massive improvement and it absolutely flies.

If you stretch the budget a bit more you could go dual core but its no loss if you don't. For the tasks you'll be doing a Pentium M is more than enough imho.
Cheers for that just wondering did you buy it from the actual dell website?

Back
Top Bottom