Spec me a microwave

Soldato
When heating some beans this morning I heard a crackling noise, then boooom, a flash of light, followed by rather a lot of smoke.
So I’m guessing it’s popped it’s cloggs.
Don’t care what it costs, but it must have a very good defrost function that actually defrosts rather than partially cooking stuffs.
I don’t need an inbuilt grill or whatnot, just the microwave functions.
I’ve got an AO membership thingy, so get free delivery and old unit taken away, so one from them would be good.

Last edited:
I dunno about you, but when I look at microwaves, there are only 2 important aspects for me.

One is a flatbed one.

Second, one that has two knobs, for power and time.

I cannot stand programmable microwaves, they are absolutely pointless.
Yes, very much agree.
My soon be be recycled Delonghi then turned into a Fiat 500 has similar.
But that Samsung you posted is enormous and wouldn't fit in the pantry :(
This will, just about and is the closest I can find that'll do..

Guess I'll find out soon enough

What you want for good defrost is a microwave with an inverter. A cheap microwave does pulses, it will blast something with 900w for 10 seconds, stops for 10 seconds and blast for 10 seconds. This is how it does “half power” for defrost.

One with an inverter actually deliver true constant power, at various amount. So it will do 50% power constantly for defrost.

Now think about how your food can be cooked on the outside and frozen in the middle….a cheap microwave is like putting an over at 220c to cook something, in a way.
Thanks.
This should fit the bill..

I’m drawn to it because it has a “chaos” mode :)

I have this one.

Flatbed
Inverter

But it is big.
AO have the same for a tenner less + free delivery and they’ll take away my blown up one.
I really do like the idea of a flat bed for easy cleaning.
Also it looks easy enough to use, albeit with no dials.
It’ll have to live on a worktop instead of in the pantry as it’s pretty big in comparison to what I’ve had, but it’s doable.

What you want for good defrost is a microwave with an inverter. A cheap microwave does pulses, it will blast something with 900w for 10 seconds, stops for 10 seconds and blast for 10 seconds. This is how it does “half power” for defrost.

One with an inverter actually deliver true constant power, at various amount. So it will do 50% power constantly for defrost.

Now think about how your food can be cooked on the outside and frozen in the middle….a cheap microwave is like putting an oven at 220c to cook something, in a way.
That turned out to be good advice about an inverter microwave.
Just defrosted a steak and a chicken breast in 3 minutes without even slightly cooking them using the chaos mode.
To quote Paul Whitehouse..

Brilliant!

Back
Top Bottom