• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Spec me a new card

Associate
Nothing.

Current Polaris cards are going up to RX480 which is as fast as the GTX1060.

AMD top of the range cards will come out by end of June

FYI buy the best 1080 on your budget, but stay away from reference models.

As for which 1080. All are the same. Except one of the Strixx models, all others are limited to 1.093v. So the cooler matters here only.
This one while the cheapest of the pack, doesn't mean isn't good. The cooler is superb, and search online for Galax GTX1080 EC OC. (same card, same cooler, same company).
Some have managed to pull 2200 on air with it.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kfa2...dr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-088-kf.html

do not underestimate the warranty, that's all I am saying. For GPUs costing this much, the desire to save a few quid can do more damage then good.

Associate
OP
Yes but I really want to get something now rather than later. The zotac looks a massive card though does it take up more than 2 slots it's pretty tall as well

Soldato
Bit of a waste of a freesync monitor getting an Nvidia card, i would just try and resist until the new AMD cards come out unless you were planning on changing monitor soon anyway.

Associate
Looks like its a two slot card...but with the shroud it has on it..it probably takes more like nearly three slots , I dont blame you though..if I had the cash I would also get it lol

States within the description that it's a 2.5 slot card :)

And spending that kind of money, I would go for the longest warranty.

Soldato
Careful with evga cards. They had issues with the vrm cooling. If you want evga then wait for the new ones with icx coolers.

I returned my evga and replaced it with a zotac which i am very impressed with.

Regarding the 1080, i really don't think it is worth the £200 extra for 15/20% extra performance. The 1070 flies at 1440p anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
I still feel that whole VRM issue was out of hand. EVGA did nothing wrong and actually provided more than it needed too.

Each to own though but I would never switch from EVGA because of their warranty and service especially after they handled the situation where someone created a fiasco out of nothing in the end as it was proved.

I do however feel they like to take the michael with shipping costs for things such as the bridge connectors and that "Free Item" that really wasn't because they wanted stupid shipping prices. I got a quote for the item from my account and they suggest as a single item it would be £3 recorded.

In regards to that they should have just sent across a few thousand to the UK to their centre and distributed from there for free. That stung more than the rest of anything they have done.

Soldato
You say it was blown out of proportion, but then why have they totally revised the cooling on their cards? The acx3 cooler has been ditched sharpish and replaced with icx. I think it is clear that the cards were deeply flawed.

I certainly lost all confidence in mine.

Back
Top Bottom