Spec me a project/timesheet/task management solution

Associate
I'm a freelance web developer and for the last couple of years I've been using the community edition of Feng Office to track clients/tasks/timesheets. I host it myself but its a bit clunky and missing some of the stuff you get with their paid hosted solution so I'm looking to move to a fully hosted solution. Unfortunately Feng's paid plans start at $59 a month which is too much.

So can anyone recommend an alternative hosted solution that meets the following requirements:

• Needs to have a timer for recording time against tasks (needs to have manual entry as well, but timer functionality is a must)
  • No storage required for documents, etc
  • The ability to allow other users access to view data (not edit)
  • No more than £15 per month
  • Ability to report by time period/client/project/task
  • It either needs to be a mobile friendly solution, or have an Android app that will allow me to update and track time when onsite with clients.
  • Not essential, but preferably have the ability to generate branded invoices from timesheets (5-10 a month)

Someone recommended Wave Accounting. I've taken a look but think that might be slightly overkill for my needs.

So OCUKer's, what do you use that might fit the bill?

Thanks

Soldato
Have you looked at Basecamp yet? It's really good, but may be a bit overkill for your needs.
The lowest tier pricing is roughly £14/month and allows you to have 10 active projects at any given time. Finished projects can be archived and don't count against your allowance, unless you reopen them.

Edit: I've just read that the latest version of Basecamp no longer has time tracking, but does have plugins. (I used to use Basecamp a couple years ago, but switched to Trello as it's free, but it doesn't do everything you need, though there might be plugins.)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks, have taken a glance and looks like a possibility.

A couple of questions:

• I can't see if it has a timer function - this is critical to me as I need to record time as granularly as possible. Does it do this?
  • Pricing is shown as $1 a day, so around £20 a month which is OK at a push, but my bank charges for foreign transactions - is there a way round that?

edit - your edit beat me to it - no time tracking is a deal breaker for me.

Thanks anyway.

Associate
www.freeagent.com is absolutely brilliant, couldn't live without it now. It fills most of your requirements but also does a lot more for you on the accounting side, you can even automatically import your account statements to track against payments / bills.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all your suggestions guys.

For anyone that's looking for something similar, I've ended up going with Mavenlink. It ticks all my requirements and since I use Google Apps it ties in with my mail/Drive/calendar very nicely.

Soldato
Bump. Anymore suggestions? My manager had us test a few out but he's been rather fickle about making a definitive choice. Just trying to find out some other alternatives.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom