Spec me a rice cooker

Soldato
I’ve got a Ninja Speedi that does decent rice, but it makes way too much for me alone.
I need something that does enough for one person, so, any ideas? (cost isn’t an issue).

Caporegime
This is the one I picked up in Singapore. Perfect for 1 to 2 persons. 3 people would be fine but 4 is pushing it. Rolls Royce of rice cookers, their smallest size version.

92fqxA8.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
This is the one I picked up in Singapore. Perfect for 1 to 2 persons. 3 people would be fine but 4 is pushing it. Rolls Royce of rice cookers, their smallest size version.

92fqxA8.jpg

I bet this is some kit, £85 for a rice cooker but I bet you'd likely end up using it regularly if you're spending that much on it

Caporegime
I bet this is some kit, £85 for a rice cooker but I bet you'd likely end up using it regularly if you're spending that much on it

£85 is cheap for this rice cooker, and IMO, from someone who has eaten rice everyday pretty much for 4 decades, it makes the best rice I’ve had. I have 2 rice cookers in the house, had several before, this brand is the best one yet.

Most cheap, under £50 rice cookers are “dumb”, it has a heat plate and a single sensor that triggers the off switch when it goes above 100c. It basically heat it full blast and then stops. Fuzzy logic cooks rice differently, it allows for soak time, heating in a more gradual way, after cooking absorption time, it even knows if it has not enough water somehow or too much. It has programmed settings for white rice, sushi rice and different grains of rice.

A good rice cooker is so worth it, I personally rather spend £200 on a rice cooker and £50 on a microwave than the other way round. I mean you can spend £100 on a toaster so a rice cooker is a bargain really.

Last edited:
Associate
£85 is cheap for this rice cooker, and IMO, from someone who has eaten rice everyday pretty much for 4 decades, it makes the best rice I’ve had. I have 2 rice cookers in the house, had several before, this brand is the best one yet.

Most cheap, under £50 rice cookers are “dumb”, it has a heat plate and a single sensor that triggers the off switch when it goes above 100c. It basically heat it full blast and then stops. Fuzzy logic cooks rice differently, it allows for soak time, heating in a more gradual way, after cooking absorption time, it even knows if it has not enough water somehow or too much. It has programmed settings for white rice, sushi rice and different grains of rice.

A good rice cooker is so worth it, I personally rather spend £200 on a rice cooker and £50 on a microwave than the other way round. I mean you can spend £100 on a toaster so a rice cooker is a bargain really.
Dammit now I want this rice cooker, I'm English but we end up having rice about 4 times a week just for ease plus I've got 2 kids that go nuts for it. Get what you mean on the microwave pricing too

Edit just seen your link price! £200?! But still you'd kinda sell it very well

Last edited:
Soldato
Completely unnecessary to spend that sort of money on a rice cooker. £200 to cook a bit of rice? :D

Save the money and buy better quality rice which is a big factor.

Caporegime

I got the one i linked to, and in the photo.

But the one you linked to also should work, the important thing is it has fuzzy logic. Zojirushi is just a premium brand for rice cooker, it’s a bit like Borsch for white goods or perhaps more closer, LG with OLED vs other brands also with OLED or other brands with TN panel.

Someone who doesn’t know any better would be happy with the TN panel, but once you tried both, you would go OLED everytime.

Caporegime
Dammit now I want this rice cooker, I'm English but we end up having rice about 4 times a week just for ease plus I've got 2 kids that go nuts for it. Get what you mean on the microwave pricing too

Edit just seen your link price! £200?! But still you'd kinda sell it very well

Yeah, it was the reason i got it in Singapore, it‘s so much cheaper there! When i got it the exchange rate was even better than now, i paid about £75. Perk of being a former British colony…same 230v appliance and the same plugs!

Soldato
It’s a bloody rice cooker! Why does it need fuzzy logic? :cry: It either cooks the rice correctly, or it doesn’t :D

I have a basic mechanical rice cooker which is electrically a rearranged kettle. Goes kerchunk at a predecided temperature :p

For whatever reason giving a rice cooker some conditional code gets to be called fuzzy logic and it has potential to try better settings for a specific outcome vs what you've put in than a basic cooker.

Haven't seen a rice place using one.

Sushi place I go past has two dumb as bricks Buffalo rice cookers. Malay restaurant also has a dumb large capacity rice cooker.

I reckon fuzzy logic attempts to cover weird stuff that consumers do and commercial users that consistently measure correctly and cook one type of rice one way forever have no need of it.

Commercial rice cookers: https://www.catering-appliance.com/rice-cookers all big and dumb :eek:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom