Spec me a telescope

Associate
Hi guys, i am a complete noob but i've asked for a telescope off my wife for christmas.

I would love to see saturn and Jupiter.

I'm not sure where to start or what accessories i would even need.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Budget wise, maybe £250.

Soldato
For planets you want a long focal length (magnification). The issue is that same long fl means you will have less light for fainter objects unless you have large (16-21”) aperture.

SGL is a good resource.

Soldato
If you are a "complete noob" as you say you may want something relatively easy to use and still have good views of the planets and the moon. I have a Skywatcher Skymax127 Maksutov telescope on a goto mount and it's excellent for observing the solar system and even for planetary and moon astrophotography should you wish to dive down that rabbit hole.
With a goto mount you don't really have to have an immediate deep knowledge of the objects in the universe, that comes with time and there are many excellent apps for phones and tablets. You just have to learn the basics and the goto mount will take you to any object you "tell" it to, well, more or less. It's not easy to find the right gear at your price point but on Facebook group "Secondhand Astronomy Equipment UK-For Sale/Swaps/Wanted" there is what looks like a decent Maksutov127 goto setup for £300. (it's not me lol)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the input guys, going to have a good look tomorrow at recomendations, been so busy with work and family i had to put this on hold lol.

Back
Top Bottom