Spec me a video editing system

Associate
Hi guys & girls

I'm working with a company just now and they've got a requirement for an internal video editing system.

I have a system at home that I've used for the past 7 years but I know things have moved on somewhat.

At a guess we will be using Adobe Creative cloud/premier.

OS and after effects scratch area should be a 1TB SSD of some description.

Looking graphics card that will support 2 ultra wide monitors. No gaming required but needs to be fluid for video playback on one screen/edit windows on the other.

I'm looking for a futuristic/technology/business looking case that does not look like a 15 year old's gaming rig.

Air cooling, quiet and fast at rendering lots of threads.

In regards to storage of media I'm thinking of some form of NAS (Qnap 10gig ethernet /thuderbolt)

Thanks in advance!

Yes so my system at the moment has 24GB RAM - comes in very handy when rendering with After Effects. Almost all gets eaten up. I've been investigating things further and see that a decent GPU is on the cards. I'm not sure I can stretch to a Nvidia Quadro - if anyone has experience please chime in. I see that AMD have a poor man's version. Also on the RAM side what' a good configuration that does not break the bank?

Thanks for all the replies thus far.

Budget wise I'd like to keep it under £6k. Some research and it appears the most recent versions for Adobe Premiere & After Effects both utilise CUDA within the Nvidia range to offload rendering.

So I'm now looking for some form of SLI set up.

I'm been thinking of going back to AMD - seeing all the activity with their new CPU's, however, I'm worried about stability and the fact that I can't go dual CPU.

Here's what I'm thinking

1x Asus Workstation (WS) Mobo with dual sockets
2x Intel i7's
2x Nvidia 1070's
64GB RAM
Samsung Polaris M2 1TB

Advice on bang for buck GFX, RAM & CPU would be helpful thanks, guys.

Here's my basket so far

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £5,658.75
(includes shipping: £15.90)

Last edited:
You can't use Intel i7s in a dual socketmotherboard. Only Xeons support having multiple CPUs in the same motherboard.

Edit: And not all Xeons at that. I think you need a Xeon E5 to support dual socket motherboards.

Thanks I did not know that!

Do you have ultra wide monitors or are you looking to get them?

Not yet - probably a Dell Ultrawide

Back
Top Bottom