Spec me a washing machine

Associate
Hey up peoples

Looking at a new washing machine, with a load around the 10kg and a width of 600mm

Just watched an episode of the gadget show and they compared an expensive washing machine vs budget and the difference was negligible with same A rating

Any experts can vouch for this? also why so expensive if there is no difference, short life maybe?

Anyways, look forward to your recommendations

TIA

We have had a Haier HW100 for a couple of years now and are very pleased with it. It's direct drive so is much quieter than the Indesit it replaced and it's excellent on electricity using just 0.275kWh for a full load on the eco setting. Our old Indesit use 0.547kWh for a similar program. The quality is excellent and being 1400rpm spin clothes are all but dry when they come out. The warranty when we bought was 2 years with a free extension to 3 years and 5 years on the motor but it's changed to 2 years and 10 years on the motor now.

Most of the low budget machines are all manufactured at Whirlpool who manufacture Hotpoint, Beko and Indesit etc., so internally they probably have the same components and longevity.
We have Samsung and it has a 5 year warranty and the motor a 20 year.
Very efficient and quiet and they come in various load ratings..

Last edited:
Just watched an episode of the gadget show and they compared an expensive washing machine vs budget and the difference was negligible with same A rating

This is not true, because the machines from the top manufacturers are much better engineered and typically last much longer and are less susceptible to serious failures. Brands I would consider are LG, Bosch and Samsung, in that order. Miele are also good and well engineered, but they are also relatively expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not true, because the machines from the top manufacturers are much better engineered and typically last much longer and are less susceptible to serious failures. Brands I would consider are LG, Bosch and Samsung, in that order. Miele are also good and well engineered, but they are also relatively expensive. This washing machines page describes the manufacturers and has links to their websites.
Cheers for the article... I'll have a read

I've had a lg direct drive for over 10 years now. I replaced two parts relating to the door myself, and I'm usually running a load or 2 a day.

I'll be buying another when this dies.

Hey up peoples

Looking at a new washing machine, with a load around the 10kg and a width of 600mm

Any experts can vouch for this? also why so expensive if there is no difference, short life maybe?

Anyways, look forward to your recommendations

TIA
What did you buy in the end? Our 13 year old LG has just died so need on ASAP. Main priority from the boss is that it's silver

What did you buy in the end? Our 13 year old LG has just died so need on ASAP. Main priority from the boss is that it's silver
I actually ended up buying a Haier washing machine. Value
I ended up buying a Haier... It was value for money and from what I read, it's decent and reliable

Since I retired the Zanussi, we've tried Candy and the latest Smart Hoover and tbh they've been absolute ****, with terrible after sales service.

The next machine will be either Bosch or LG.

Most of our white goods are bosch and they seem to last well. Current washing machine is a bosch classix series 4 and is more than 10 years old. We're a family of five now so it's gets heavy use. It has been making a worrying noise for a couple of months though so probably needs replacing soon.
The bosch tumble drier we bought last year has been excellent so far

Back
Top Bottom