Spec me a winter jacket

Soldato

how odd, i literally just received an Atom LT and a Beta AR today as my first "proper" coats :D

I also ordered a Fission SV as a single solution might be more practical for me, will send back whichever i prefer least (the atom beta combo or the fission)

Last edited:
Associate
I also ordered a Fission SV as a single solution might be more practical for me, will send back whichever i prefer least (the atom beta combo or the fission)

Let us know what you think of the Fission SV, been eyeing it up as an all-in-one for a while now

Associate
how odd, i literally just received an Atom LT and a Beta AR today as my first "proper" coats :D

Awesome! For 95% of the cases, i am only using the LT and i cant say enough good things about it.... it is light weight , windproof , warm and dries easily. Beta AR is only when i am doing multi day hikes or something similar and expecting rain. If i am in the city , i'd rather do LT + umbrella, For a light drizzle day , LT hands down..

Hope you enjoy them both! It's very hard to go back once you get into Arc ecosystem. Their products are class.

Soldato
they do feel great! I do wish they had something a bit more middle ground. A beta LT with an Alpha LT level insulation built in would be a fantastic single piece, as I fear the fission might be overkill! They used to do a fission LT which looked perfect, but only have the SV now.

Soldato
That Atom LT looks ideal for dog walking/winter walks etc - How's the sizing @rG-tom

The large is perfect for me - I'm often an XL in other brands with my current covid weight at 6'4 240lbs (for reference I'm on the slightly more athletic side of that weight despite the current beer belly, so broad shoulders and chest is where I normally have fitting issues).

RE for dog walking - I don't feel it will keep you dry in even a light shower tbh, it is very much a dry weather or mid-layer, but maybe I'm being tricked by how light it is and the DWR will be better than i anticipate.

PS the colour Timelapse is absolutely awesome in this Atom. I've ordered the fission in black but if i like the coat overall i think I'm going to send it back and re-order in timelapse.

Soldato
I love my Atom LT, it's a great bit of active insulation. If it's freezing and you're stood around, it's not that warm as it's pretty thin, but if you're moving it's fine. I've had mine for 9 years and it's got a few holes now but when it wears out completely I'd definitely buy another.

RE for dog walking - I don't feel it will keep you dry in even a light shower tbh, it is very much a dry weather or mid-layer, but maybe I'm being tricked by how light it is and the DWR will be better than i anticipate.

Spot on, it's pretty useless in the wet, although as it's synthetic will still retain some warmth.

Soldato
The large is perfect for me - I'm often an XL in other brands with my current covid weight at 6'4 240lbs (for reference I'm on the slightly more athletic side of that weight despite the current beer belly, so broad shoulders and chest is where I normally have fitting issues).

PS the colour Timelapse is absolutely awesome in this Atom. I've ordered the fission in black but if i like the coat overall i think I'm going to send it back and re-order in timelapse.

Thanks - to be fair - if it raining, I just don't go out! haha - I'm right between medium and large which is the only issue for me.....I'll keep looking for now

Associate
Thanks - to be fair - if it raining, I just don't go out! haha - I'm right between medium and large which is the only issue for me.....I'll keep looking for now

Atom LT would be perfect in that case ...heh head out and try one out.. join us.

I did something similar with trekkit , ordered two and sent the other size back. Smooth process.

Soldato
the sleeves are fairly long anyway, i'm 6'4 and 40lbs heavier and wear a large. On the beta the sleeves are actually way too long and i have to velcro them up a bit :D. Remember the atom range is a climbing product, and climbers tend to have long arms/stretch them out quite a bit so want extra length to cover when doing that...

Soldato
So the Fission SV arrived today and I think it might be perfect - I was expecting it to be far bulkier, it's still really light and relatively thin compared to non-technical coats.

For a "layman" rather than a super-active technical climbing person it feels far more like a normal, but very very good, winter coat. Pockets go through the insulation so your hands stay warm, decent length, double zip so you can sit down in it.

My one fear is it might be too warm, but that's purely from Reddit opinions...would it be too warm to run a marathon in? Probably. To go for a casual walk in the countryside, or stand and watch fireworks on bonfire night? I highly doubt it !

EDIT - forgot to say, I am a full size down in the Fission SV. I can fit a large Atom LT underneath the medium Fission SV and it be completely comfortable, and sleeves right length etc. The internet said they are sized absolutely massive, and the internet was right!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom