Spec me an LED Torch

Anyone able to recommend a cheap torch to keep handy? Ideally using AA (or even AAA) batteries, the only charger I have is a C9000 so C batteries wouldn't be ideal.

I noticed a link to this thread in a battery thread and realised I have no torch in my home at all, other than the LED on my phone.

Ideally something cheap, since it may never be used. :)

Old doesn't mean bad though.

No, but it does mean there will be similar priced items out there using better, newer parts. For a fiver more I know what my choice would be.

I'm done with cheapy flashlights now though, prefer the good quality stuff after experiencing cheapies failing at bad times.

Can anyone recommend me a torch please? £50 budget.

Needs to be worn like this (as modeled by this rather lovely S/Sgt):

6505527675_9d4db9b334_z.jpg

So needs to have a clip on the button end that allows it to be carried pointing down.

Really, I want 2 modes, or the ability to quickly switch between 2 modes if it has more without cycling through them: a low mode for lighting up paperwork and stuff, and a very bright mode.

The issue 55 lumen beauty is 16.5cm long, with a body diameter of 1.85cm and a head of 2.54cm. A little bit shorter would be good, and the head can be a bit bigger, but to go through the radio loop on my armour the body needs to be about that size.

For obvious reasons, it also needs to be tough! One thing thats put me off things like the Jetbeam range is the clips just push on. Not sure how well they'd last.

Batteries, either RCR123s or AAs. 123s seem better, get a brighter torch in a smaller package.

Looking at something like the EagleTac P20C2 mkII, seems to fit the bill pretty well, and if I'm reading the instructions right, you can have the low mode selected, and then jump straight to high, and then back again easily. Also like the Quark UI too.

So any recommendations, anything worth a look at?

How come torches gone real small? I few months ago my bulb blew on my D cell Gelert rubber torch, and I was going to buy a new one, but they are all real small and mostly LED. So in the end I decided to buy some xenon bulbs for my torch instead.. Can these tiny torches be as good as 1 like mine that take D size cells and xenon bulbs?

How come torches gone real small? I few months ago my bulb blew on my D cell Gelert rubber torch, and I was going to buy a new one, but they are all real small and mostly LED. So in the end I decided to buy some xenon bulbs for my torch instead.. Can these tiny torches be as good as 1 like mine that take D size cells and xenon bulbs?

You have no idea :-)

Imagine your Gelert like the moon shining in the night sky.

Something like the two I linked above would be like the sun!

Back
Top Bottom