Spec me an LED Torch

I would pay a little more for some AW cells (I have some they were 20 a pair i think)

charger wise the xtar ones are good and cheap.
Although you can run the torch on cr123's fine and that site sells them in bulk for a good price.
Its an optional really rather than requirement

Thanks, I think re-chargeables are the only way to go really as I will be using it a lot on my bike and I can't keep chucking out batteries. I think I will have to get a charger and at least one battery as well as the torch and the bike mount. I think I will deffo wait until next credit card month to buy all that! Thanks for your help.

Dave

What about one of these? http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/jetbeam/jetbeam-st-cycler.html

Edit

Quite like the look of this mount, looks very similar to the cateye cycle computer mount on one of my bikes

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/360degree-rotating-adjustable-bike-mount-p-339.html

That Jetbeam looks pretty good. It has a lot of useless modes on it but that doesn't matter really. Should do the job fine and the good thing about using a torch as a bike light is you can use it for other things as well.

What do you think about one of these: http://www.intl-outdoor.com/shadow-...t-p-133:b1a7101a2af4f652807373ce2a3b3e98.html

Quite a bit more output but not sure on how rugged it is for on a road bike?

It depends how long it lasts on the high mode, I never trust the figures quoted by the manufacturer. The next mode down appears to be 30% power which might not be bright enough if the high power mode doesn't last long enough.

I think this is the torch mrk is waiting for so might be worth waiting to see what he thinks of it.

Last edited:
Sounds like a plan cheers! I bought a handlebar mounted light with an external battery pack but I really didn't like the mess of cables but mainly having to hang the battery pack from the frame as it is matt black and marks very easy, rookie error!

I'd say 425 lumen of the Jetbeam was easily enough for a bike light. I currently use a Fenix TK12 R5 which is 280 lumen and it lights up the road ahead nicely. The emitter in the torches you are looking at will be even better and should have more flood than mine.

BTW, does anyone know if Fenix have any new torches planned for their TK range any time soon?

What do.you have Mark?

As your main torch that is

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix-tk12-r5.html

I have a few budget ones like the Solarforce hosts with a few drop-ins, but whenever I need a torch I always grab the TK12. I Love how tough it is, It managed to work loose on my bike and went flying off onto tarmac at 30mph with just a couple of small scratches to show for it. If it would have been the Solarforce i'd have been riding home in the dark lol.

Going to hopefully add another Fenix to my collection soon as I could do with one with more flood to combine with the throw of the TK12. Then I can't see me needing another torch, unless one of these breaks, or something really good comes along.

OK trying to decide what else to get.

Currently have:

20120814_140503.jpg

L2P Host HA3
Tactical Head
2x Standard heads
multiple bezels including tactical
S7 Forward Clicky with protruding button (can't tailstand)
L2R Reverse clicky with recessed button so you can tailstand

Manafont Ultrafire 5 mode 3.7V -4.2V XM-L T6 LED dropin (anyone know lumens on this?)

Solarforce 500 Lumens 3-6v MCE cree

I have coming tomorrow (Thanks again Deluxe1)

HA3 Forward clicky but tailstandable
productl_66.jpg

Ultrafire WF139 double 18650 charger
2x AW18650 2600mah cells
Holster.

I want to use this for light painting, so I am looking at buying the following:

L2T body, as i have enough spare parts to make a complete new flashlight and they're only £5 anyway!

productl_338.jpg

4x Coloured Lenses
productl_68.jpg

A diffuser lens (i'm particularily interested if anyone has any experience with this?)
productl_91.jpg

And last but not least as it's the most expensive, an LT1 Lantern head:

productl_445.jpg

Anyone have any experience with the diffuser stuff? I'm considering modifying the lantern (probably reversible mod) so that it only emits light from one side, perhaps some thin mirror finished material or something bent to shape?

Really impressed with the build quality and output of this light so far though only having had maglites and cheap stuff before!

Last edited:
Shadow V10 arrived today!

VG10_1.jpg

VG10_2.jpg

Build quality is excellent, near enough similar to the BC40 but it has 1 o-ring on each end instead of 2 like the JetBeam does. Brightness wise it's only a little less bright compared to the BC40, this is exactly what I wanted, something brighter than my other lights but not as big in size as the BC40 but better runtime thrown in at the same time. Now I only need to take this light with me on outings instead of 2 or 3 for different uses. It's also shorter by about 1.5cm compared to the Solarforce L2 and even shorter without the L2 using a tactical head bezel.

The centre spot is less yellow to the BC40 as well, I opted for the Neutral White option when ordering,

Really like the wrist strap with latch in the middle, will prove useful.

Only negatives I can see is that the tail cap colour is slightly off shade to the rest of the torch, it's subtle in reality but my pictures are colour balanced so it shows up better. My one also is 4 modes when I chose 5 modes. Not a deal breaker.

I'll be selling my BC40 on the MM so anyone interested check there a bit later on :p

Last edited:
My L2 is XP-G not XM-L so I can't compare that sorry, only the BC40 is XM-L.

The mini one is an Ultrafire C3, runtime on that is about an hour from a good battery. One mode only though, it sits in my camera backpack :p

Edit*
Oh yeah, the VG10 gets HOT!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom