Spec me an LED Torch

mrk, didn't you put one of your torches up for sale in the MM? Did that get removed or something? I can't see why they would have a problem with selling torches.

Also the TN31 sounds awesome, I can't wait to try mine out! I'm going to the Lake District on Friday, so hopefully they turn up before then.

It got closed yeah because at the time torches weren't allowed. Maybe things will change this time!

I can't wait to properly use the TN31 though, Belgium at the end of this month and Finland in Feb so I am fully anticipating from beam shots in low light polluted skies and lots of stars in the night sky as well :D

I love the magnetic mode ring, it's really easy to switch power and turn it off this way, just leave the tail switch on and slap it into standby when not in storage. Really impressed with this torch.

Edit*

Maybe I spoke too soon? My TN31 seems to have a random fault, a jolt or shake results in weird flickering or power loss, shake it again and it's back - Anyone any ideas before I send it away for replacement?

Last edited:
And sadly this will be going :(
VG10_sale.jpg

That looks really nice. I'd love to get my hands on one of those.

Some of the torches in here look awesome. Make my little LED torch-pen thingy look rather lame. :o

Maybe I spoke too soon? My TN31 seems to have a random fault, a jolt or shake results in weird flickering or power loss, shake it again and it's back - Anyone any ideas before I send it away for replacement?

Gah, sorry to hear that, i'll test mine as soon as I get the batts.

I did read something on CPF about the yellowy finish they have applied to the circular bits on the ends of the battery holder stopping current from flowing. There's a guy who sells modified versions and he sandblasted the finish off.

Here is the thread.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...odified-TN31&p=4026966&viewfull=1#post4026966

So as some may know I had issues with the batch of TN31 I bought. Quite a few were flickering and not able to output at full power. Since a great deal of what I am doing with these lights is making them more robust and durable I was non too happy to find this issue. In investigating the issue I found a change that was made from the first unit I bought and this last batch. In a less than stellar move ThruNite decided to coat the aluminum parts on the battery carrier and internal contact point on the head with something that is drastically increasing the circuit resistance. So much so that in some cases no electricity would pass.

Last edited:
Damn! That explains that I guess :/

I wonder if I can autosol the battery carrier ends so buff away that layer...

I had access to a sandblaster at my old workplace too!

That looks really nice. I'd love to get my hands on one of those.

Some of the torches in here look awesome. Make my little LED torch-pen thingy look rather lame. :o

Well if MM sales allow for torches, you could buy it soon :p

It does sound like it could be the problem. I'd be worried about it voiding the warranty and then it turning out to be something else though. maybe wait and see what Thrunite reply back with.

If it's a common problem they may even know about it and could possibly send a new battery holder, or even just the discs.

Ah that's true! Will give it a few days then :)

Edit*

I can't wait a few days, I just had to DIY mod it!

20121108_005821_HDR.jpg

20121108_005902_HDR.jpg

(Left = Stock one. Right = Autosol finished)

^ Just look at that yellow crap they put on there :/ I also autosol buffed the screws and centre screw nipple thing.

Didn't touch the plates on the torch itself though
TN31_autosol.jpg

And did the flicker/power loss issue get fixed? Yes!

So Mark A, if you experience similar, Autosol those battery carrier plates :)

Last edited:
What did you use to buff it with the Autosol?

Might give this a go with my TN30 as my carrier is yellow and i do occasionally get the odd flicker when on turbo.

Just kitchen tissue, autosol works even without being vigorous. Just rub it in lightly then briskly buff up and down and around.

That stuff will polish anything metal!

Eagletac cells charged up, tonight I'll take a walk to the field and get some beamshot comparisons if it stays dry!

Well that was rather easy, put some new cells in and usually at this point it will give off the odd flicker but got none so seems to have done the trick.

j0l7qq.jpg

11gktgj.jpg

Who do I need to bribe? :p

The boss :p

Well that was rather easy, put some new cells in and usually at this point it will give off the odd flicker but got none so seems to have done the trick.
j0l7qq.jpg

11gktgj.jpg

That finish is brilliant! Yeah it seems odd they'd coat them in some kind of weird yellow crap.

Oh well, the light itself kicks arse though.

Back
Top Bottom