Spec me an LED Torch

I bought this torch, FENIX TK12. Fantastic bright as hell. £65.95.

fenix-tk12-r5.jpg

Fenix TK12 R5 specification:

* Cree XP-G LED (R5) with life span of 50,000 hours
* Three modes of output, selected by turning the bezel
* Max beam length: 200 meters
* Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
* Intelligent memory function
* Battery reverse polarity protection function
* Uses Two 3V CR123A Lithium batteries or one 18650 Li-ion battery
* 137.5mm (Length) x 25.4mm (Diameter) x 34mm (Head)
* 119 gram weight (excluding batteries)
* Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
* Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
* Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard
* Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating
* Tactical tail cap switch with momentary-on function
* Anti-roll, slip-resistant body design
* Included accessories: holster, lanyard, body clip, two spare o-rings, and a rubber switch boot o-rings

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix-tk12-r5.html

A[L]C;18024543 said:
where did you get your pila?

I got it from here: http://www.ledfiretorches.co.uk/pila-ibc-lithium-charger.html

Bugger. My Zebralight turned up today but it does not turn on. :(

Ahhh no way! :(

I take it you have changed the battery and ensured the tail cap is firmly screwed down etc.. too obvious to mention really. After all that you receive a dud.. how bloody annoying. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

I received the newish Solarforce XPG-R5 drop-in last month and the Solarforce P7 drop-in. Popped it in a Solarforce L2P body and wow! The Solarforce XPG-R5 has amazing output:

solarforcel2pxpgr51x186x.jpg

Draws 2amps from a 18650 cell.

But mine has flickering/pulsing issues every second which is a damn shame. I emailed http://www.solarforce-sales.com/ the company I purchased from and they were great.. sending out a new replacement with no questions asked. But! The replacement has this same flickering issue and the tint has changed for the worse on this replacement :(.

I have tried different 18650 cells but the flickering just won't stop. Others have reported no problems while some also report this problem. Frustrating indeed as this is a mighty bright drop-in, especially so from the price prospective.

The Solarforce P7 isn't bad.. but is a massive heat generator and obviously floody.

solarforcel2pp71x186501.jpg

Draws 2.5 amps from a 18650 cell.

Last edited:
Just taken delivery of a 4sevens maelstrom - amazing light, my new favourite :-)

Ordered a shiningbeam s-mini with my Xmas money.

Just taken delivery of a 4sevens maelstrom - amazing light, my new favourite :-)

Very nice, I really do like 4Sevens UI and especially the moonlight mode.

Have you tried any neutral tinted lights? I find myself being tempted by them more and more out of curiosity with all the rage of how great they look outdoors with colour rendition.

Last edited:
Ahhh no way! :(

I take it you have changed the battery and ensured the tail cap is firmly screwed down etc.. too obvious to mention really. After all that you receive a dud.. how bloody annoying. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Ah man sorry forgot to update!

I emailed them and they were very helpful. They advised cleaning the contact points and it now works. :)

Not given it to my old man yet as he is not back from his Christmas holidays but he should be impressed. It is amazingly bright for something so small.

I received the newish Solarforce XPG-R5 drop-in last month and the Solarforce P7 drop-in. Popped it in a Solarforce L2P body and wow! The Solarforce XPG-R5 has amazing output:

Draws 2amps from a 18650 cell.

But mine has flickering/pulsing issues every second which is a damn shame. I emailed http://www.solarforce-sales.com/ the company I purchased from and they were great.. sending out a new replacement with no questions asked. But! The replacement has this same flickering issue and the tint has changed for the worse on this replacement :(.

I have tried different 18650 cells but the flickering just won't stop. Others have reported no problems while some also report this problem. Frustrating indeed as this is a mighty bright drop-in, especially so from the price prospective.

The Solarforce P7 isn't bad.. but is a massive heat generator and obviously floody.

Draws 2.5 amps from a 18650 cell.
Ive ordered

Solarforce Monster Thrower Masterpiece Pro-1 Head + L2x Ext body + XPG R5 320 Lumens Dropin combo set-

http://www.solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=LF&s=26&id=121

and

Solarforce Skyline I Long Throw Infinite Mode Flashlight

http://www.solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=LF&s=26&id=123

from those guys. How long did it take for yours to turn up?

My housemates been looking at getting a good bright torch for work ever since he seen my Fenix pd30.
Well he went and bought himself a LED Lenser P7 :o its a nice enough torch but for the £50 he paid for it he could have had the same as me which is a much more pocket friendly size, lighter, cheaper and brighter.
Some people just wont listen

A[L]C;18097326 said:
Ive ordered

Solarforce Monster Thrower Masterpiece Pro-1 Head + L2x Ext body + XPG R5 320 Lumens Dropin combo set-

http://www.solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=LF&s=26&id=121

and

Solarforce Skyline I Long Throw Infinite Mode Flashlight

http://www.solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=LF&s=26&id=123

from those guys. How long did it take for yours to turn up?

You will love the Masterpiece Pro-1 Head, it throws ridiculously far! Let me know how you get on with the XPG R5 drop-in, if yours has flickering problems.

Takes normally around 2-3 weeks to turn up from solarforce sales, but this time of year it may take a little longer.

Ah man sorry forgot to update!

I emailed them and they were very helpful. They advised cleaning the contact points and it now works. :)

Not given it to my old man yet as he is not back from his Christmas holidays but he should be impressed. It is amazingly bright for something so small.

That's good! Glad you got it sorted out! I'm sure he will be impressed, it really packs a punch doesn't it! I have the headlamp version of it (the H51) tremendously bright for it's size. :)

You will love the Masterpiece Pro-1 Head, it throws ridiculously far! Let me know how you get on with the XPG R5 drop-in, if yours has flickering problems.

Takes normally around 2-3 weeks to turn up from solarforce sales, but this time of year it may take a little longer.

Im getting a little excited I must admit. Just need to break it to the mrs that Ive bought 2 more torches!

According to the tracking, it left hong kong yesterday.

Will let you know about the r5.

A[L]C;18100392 said:
Im getting a little excited I must admit. Just need to break it to the mrs that Ive bought 2 more torches!

When you've got 30 they all tend to blend in :-)

Just delved into this field, damn you OcUK :p Worked out for the best though, brother got me these for Christmas:

ITP A3 EOS SS
ITP R01

Love them both.

I also ordered an A6 Polestar myself (couldn't resist 700 lumens for £50 :p) but have returned because it was a dud.

Edit: Got my replacement Polestar (tee hee :D) today. Has a nice floody beam, the actual build has a good medium size and weight to it. Will be my general purpose torch.

Last edited:
Bit of a revival but this week I bought a torch to assist in some night explores. Bought one for a friend as well and I wasn't expecting much for the price (little over £6) but whoah! Am blown away by the power of the light beam and quality. There are no dark patches, in the beam pattern, it's all even and could very easily be hung above in a tent and used as a flood light zoomed out or whatever else.

It's a head torch powered by a CREE 5w LED and gives off 300 lumens. I have also ordered the same LED powered torch but in all aluminium pocket form which is weather sealed too which will be used for everything else.

Pic:

cree_led_headtorch.jpg

I was this close to buying an LED Lenser from a local shop, tried it in store and the brightness and beam was just like the above but the price was £34.99 so was a bit put off. At the price of the one I bought I don't have to worry about losing it or breaking it because I can easily buy another one, or several :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom