Spec me an LED Torch

If it's just around the house and general use then go for it at that price. If anything you'll be hooked on LED lights soon after and buy better ones with more power.

Oh god the power!

In a nutshell, my missus has swiped my MagLite ST3D016 3-D Cell LED, to keep in the back of her car.

I use to like to keep it handy in my office, for tinkering around the back of my computer, and grabbing it, if i ever needed it elsewhere, like going outside in the dark.

I'm not sure if i should be replacing it with the same thing, as i've been happy with it, or go for a couple of these Feit 500 ultra brights. Both are the same price. Mag lite has been around forever. Just wasnt sure if the Feit's are known within the flash light community? Was only on my phone, while posting in Costco. So now i'm home i guess i can do a little research. I walked away for now. BUT i could go back tomorrow.. Am in the market for a new flashlight.

This http://www.feit.com/Conserv_Energy/Flahlights/LED_Flashlights vs http://www.maglite.com/D_Cell_LED.asp (like in 3 D-batteries)

Last edited:
Has anyone had any experience with eagletac's line of torches? More specifically the d25 clicky range, I'm considering one as a small work light. Currently I use a lenser p3, good beam control but not all that bright and it eats batteries.

Any other suggestions are welcome providing their less than £40.

I wouldn't bother with a Maglite. 134 lumens in such a big torch is a joke. That Nitecore EA4 just posted would be my choice if going for convention battery powered torch.

So I bought the Feit's and wow !!! Compared to the mag-lite its like an arc weld ! Actually i think i'm seeing blobs typing this, cos i accidently caught a glimpse of the shine in the mirror. Closed myself in a dark room (like you do!) and started playing with my new toys lol... Feit is about 5 times brighter than the maglite !

Build quality is top notch. Can't really fault it to be honest. Slide feels like its on pneumatic pressure.

Guess it could be used to kosch someone. Not as good as the maglite in that dept, so the missus gets to keep the maglite in the back of her motor, and I'll keep these little bad boys handy, near my computer and one for the garage. 5/5 from me ! Has the CREE LED's apparently. I live in America, so don't know if they're availble in England, but for the price, they're A OK !

Would one of those Nitecore EA4s run well on Eneloops? I've moved most things to AA Eneloops so it would be handy. Worth going for the XX ones?

Ive got my EA4 on Eneloops (standard ones) and they are still running on one charge after a month. Granted I dont use it loads but still.

runtime are pretty good;
860 lumen - 1 hour 45
550 - 2 hours
300 - 4hours 30 mins
135 - 11 hours
65 lumens - 22 hours

I might try leaving it on full turbo until the it drains, then try a battery test to see if it does last 1 hour 45 on turbo mode

Only thing lacking is a moonlight type mode... 8 lumens for 7 days, 4 lumens for 15 days, 2 lumens for 30 days or 1 lumen for 60 days. Any of these settings, especially the last one, would be a great addition

Anyone with an EA4 know the answer to this? - When I enter lockout mode, it flashes in a pattern to show battery voltage. Max voltage is 4.2V which is 4 blinks in succession, followed by a 1 second pause then 2 more blinks. Mine blinks 5 times in succession, 1 second pause then 2 more blinks - indicating 5.2volts :confused: I have also had these batteries in the torch for about a month!

Last edited:

Only thing lacking is a moonlight type mode... 8 lumens for 7 days, 4 lumens for 15 days, 2 lumens for 30 days or 1 lumen for 60 days. Any of these settings, especially the last one, would be a great addition

Yeah that'd be an awesome addition to an already fantastic torch. I love my EA4, it lights everything up so well when I use it outside at night.

Anyone with an EA4 know the answer to this? - When I enter lockout mode, it flashes in a pattern to show battery voltage. Max voltage is 4.2V which is 4 blinks in succession, followed by a 1 second pause then 2 more blinks. Mine blinks 5 times in succession, 1 second pause then 2 more blinks - indicating 5.2volts :confused: I have also had these batteries in the torch for about a month!

Mine is the same. I use Ansmann AKKU 2850mAh batteries and when they were fully charged the light flashed to indicate a voltage of between 5.2 - 5.6 volts. After a bit of use they settle at around 5.2 volts. I use my torch for about 5-10 minutes every few days, and at the moment it is still showing as 5.0 volts when I put it into lockout mode. The last time I charged my batteries was about the middle of January. I'm really impressed with both the batteries and the torch.

One thing I have noticed, is that if I shake or knock my EA4, I can't switch the torch on (and I've also had it where it has removed lockout mode as if the batteries have been reseated). Last night when I was using it I knocked it on my leg whilst moving something (it was really windy outside so I kinda lost balance) and the torch then wouldn't switch on. I had to unscrew the cap, remove it, and then put it back on again to get it working again. I'm really not sure what it is, it seems like a loose connection but I was just wondering if anyone else with an EA4 has this problem? The best way to replicate it is to tap it on the palm of your hand a few times, and then see if it switches on or forgets lockout mode.

^ Do you always run it in lockout mode or standby? I have it in standby all the time - so it can be turned straight on if needed and flashes very faint every 2 seconds

I wouldn't bother with a Maglite. 134 lumens in such a big torch is a joke. That Nitecore EA4 just posted would be my choice if going for convention battery powered torch.

I have a 2D maglite with a terralux led (the 180 lumen XPE) and the upgraded glass which I use at home and I'm pretty impressed with it. I think it's bulk is actually a selling point as I'm sure any one who works any kind of security job will tell you. I use 3D's at work though sadly work wont splash out for the LED ones.

Dave

Here is a pic of the beam. Wasn't even pitch black outside.. Lit the place up like a Christmas tree. Funniest thing was, i know the guy across the lake. He phoned me right up, saying WTF am I shining over his way. It lit his entire house.

20130325t1615500.jpg

Back
Top Bottom