Spec me an LED Torch

I've been stalking the thread for a while and I think its time I joined the club, I got myself a china special last month and its pretty cool so I'm looking for something with a bit more quality.

I've been looking at the SC600 Mk II, I saw someone had the original on here and it looked pretty sweet and reviews of the Mk II seem to thinks its improved.

I've got a few questions so hopefully I can get some advice.

I'd like to know where the best place to buy would be? The bay seems to be the cheapest but it looks like I'd get stung for import, granted its probably only going to be a tenner but I'd rather not have to pay it!

Also any recommendation for batteries? dx has them cheap as chips but I'm not sure if I need to buy something that is decent quality.

I have an el-cheapo ultrafire wf-501b that I use on my bike but it keeps going into "safe-mode" where it drops to a very low power and kind of pulses (note this is not any of the normal 5 modes)

I've tried different batteries and also find no correlation to how full the battery is. Is this overheating? Is there a fix? Or shall I just bin it and buy a new one or something better?

Thanks

My latest purchase:=

Nitecore TM11 Tiny Monster 3 x LED

null_zpsebf99e06.jpg

Batteries fit so neatly inside:=

null_zps8ababddf.jpg

Skyray is nice, I have one but keep it now more as an emergency house light. It's a bit too bulky, too bright and gets hot for walking. Great for looking at fish in the sea at night though.

I have an el-cheapo ultrafire wf-501b that I use on my bike but it keeps going into "safe-mode" where it drops to a very low power and kind of pulses (note this is not any of the normal 5 modes)

I've tried different batteries and also find no correlation to how full the battery is. Is this overheating? Is there a fix? Or shall I just bin it and buy a new one or something better?

Thanks

On a very cheap torch, the batteries will rattle around and self destruct the torch if left to hit the circuit end.
wrap each 18650 with duct tape so that it clings to the side and it should improve matters but it could probably use some expert solder now I suspect.

I have a cheap 3xml torch that is current killing my batteries I guess because its emptying them of charge too quickly?
These are of course recovered laptop battiers, no big deal but still I hope the expensive torches/batteries dont work like that.
Gives about a 130m reach and 30ft column of light

Hurrah another Tiny Monster owner. I bought it because of the brilliant floodlight beam, but still throws to 360m which I think it more useful than a small spot to infinity! (It also has a tapped hole to mount it to a tri pod which I like to use).

Here is mine, bought it about March, they have release a beastier version since then. Also pictured is my Xtar TZ20 tactical with gun mount (I LOVE this torch, I would recommend heartily).

Last edited:
Hey all,

Can someone suggest me a small torch suitable more than anything for walking at night? I often walk to and from my mothers house instead of driving - mainly for a bit of exercise!

I got given a torch which claims to be 1800lm ( cree t6 something or other led) but I have a feeling you'll all tell me it's more like 10lm or something ;)

I'm after something small and reasonably cheap with a good runtime and perhaps happy to be powered by 18650 batteries if possible!

Thank you

Last edited:
$46 on a torch...but then spend ~£50 on 4 18650 batteries?

Total was $82 (£53 quid) Shipped
benJdS9.png

Its never going to be correct rating but for £50 it should be ok..... I would love a tiny monster core but cant spend £200 on a torch/bat/charger

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom