Spec me an LED Torch

One of the nicest lights I've come across in that price range and size is the Shiningbeam Caveman. It runs on regular AA batteries for convenience, and works even better on NiMH AA rechargeables for added savings if you use it a lot.

I've got a Caveman - it's always one of my 5 torches in my camping loadout and I rate it highly. And it's cheap enough to let the kids use it (keeps their eyes of my Ti's!).

I'm no expert, but I would recommend Fenix. My first decent LED torch was a Fenix L1T (1xAA) and they're my preferred brand.

67v2.jpg

This is my first and has been my work torch for several years. It's been dropped countless times and survived dunkings in concentrated Sodium Hypochlorite and Chlorine Dioxide solutions.
Mmm, sounds tasty ;) All the "main" brands are pretty decent these days. I prefer some of the other brands on a purely aesthetic level, but I have a Fenix E05 and it's excellent, a perfect "does what it says on the tin" kind of light.
I've got a Caveman - it's always one of my 5 torches in my camping loadout and I rate it highly. And it's cheap enough to let the kids use it (keeps their eyes of my Ti's!).
Ahaha, excellent praise indeed.

Bought the fenix e25 :) am supposed to be on a budget of sorts really! So seemed like just enough to be decent really (and local) didnt want to wait for international delivery.

Duracell 2400 cells any good for it? Found a charger here I an reuse for the, saving further.

Bought the fenix e25 :) am supposed to be on a budget of sorts really! So seemed like just enough to be decent really (and local) didnt want to wait for international delivery.

Duracell 2400 cells any good for it? Found a charger here I an reuse for the, saving further.

They're likely to be pretty pants if I'm honest. All NiMH rechargeables that aren't "low self discharge" like Eneloops or Duracell "Duralock" or "PreCharged" batteries, and other than the Eneloop Pro, the max capacity of LSD AAs is 2000mAh.

Duracell sell 2400mAh cells that they claim are "low self discharge" but how much of that is marketing crap and how much is the truth is unknown. The Duracell 1950mAh "PreCharged" cells are reputedly quite good, the "made in Japan" ones being rebranded Eneloops and the china-ones are good too.

If the 2400 cells you have aren't the "PreCharged" or low-self-discharge kind, the light will work but don't count on it to last very long if you don't use it for a couple of weeks.

Just a couple of Simple Cheap ones from Amazon!.

Ho8HqE7.jpg

One for the Wife, One for me, to go in our cars for Emergency lighting as we both Drive Very Early and Very Late! :)

Not bad for just under £11 incl Postage from China :cool:

2x CREE LED Torches
2x 14500 AA Rechargeable Batteries
1x Charger
1x US-UK Adaptor (which I will replace with a Fused on I already have!)

Just a couple of Simple Cheap ones from Amazon!.

Ho8HqE7.jpg

One for the Wife, One for me, to go in our cars for Emergency lighting as we both Drive Very Early and Very Late! :)

Not bad for just under £11 incl Postage from China :cool:

2x CREE LED Torches
2x 14500 AA Rechargeable Batteries
1x Charger
1x US-UK Adaptor (which I will replace with a Fused on I already have!)

That's exactly what I'm after but can't seem to find those on amazon? Does the torch come with the charger? If you could point me in right direction it would be appreciated!

looks like the same one I got delivered today but mine works great when its working but hey cant argue for £2.77 delivered from china. :)

uGERAzBl.jpg.png

Amazon link:http: //www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006ZGEMFM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like my L2 (mine has tailstand cap though and finished in a non matte coat) - It's a good body which will last and last and take a beating :)

l2_clippy.jpg

Be interesting to see what you make of the U2 that comes bundled with that though as I had 2 and wasn't too impressed with the light colour (too yellow for my liking) so went back to the XP-G which is much nicer to look at.

looks like the same one I got delivered today but mine works great when its working but hey cant argue for £2.77 delivered from china. :)

uGERAzBl.jpg.png

Amazon link:http: //www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006ZGEMFM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ah, the classic Nitecore Extreme knockoff :-)

I've got one myself, a Romisen RC-A4.

Last edited by a moderator:
For £13 its not bad, so I have gone for it. Got a good site for batteries?

it looks like the battery is going to cost atleast as much as the Torch. Ha.

Last edited:
Seems a lot of the torches look similar. The U3 I last mentioned looks like that and the front lens moves forward an inch to focus the beam.

If its focused it'll just about reach across the field to the far tree line here:
6IuRq5y.jpg
Needs better batteries for that far really but it'd pick out fox eyes or a license plate. Its only the focus part which is making it go that far I think, on the right treeline of that pic is more realistic range.

I will have to borrow a proper camera for a nightshot.

Think I'm gonna go for this one. The P&P is £6, seems a lot!
Might as well get the cheap £3 torch twice over, its a Q5 as well.

it looks like the battery is going to cost atleast as much as the Torch. Ha.
The quality route is best for the lithium ion. Does anyone have a list of decent choices from amazon, 14500, 18650 or 26650 even :D

The alternative is I reckon to upgrade the bulb type to one that does not need much power to give the lumens.
I saw some tronics AAA from Aldi and it runs the U3 pretty well, it probably deserves a lot better but nobody is using it for more then putting trash out, etc
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?297893-Lidl-red-Tronic-battery-test

CPF seem to think its an ok brand; labelled 850mah (used in x3 adapter)
Only my Sanyo XX cells perform better, looking only to the LSD cells I own.

AAA's:
1: 755,789,545,738,769,763
2: 685,756,542,708,752
3: 723,801,779,790,790
4: 772,793,793,822,797

Last edited:
I think I might have made a noob move. I am buying a torch for trekking for 4+ weeks away from mains power. love the look of the Solarforce L2 that I have bought but the batteries are going to be a pain.

What you guys think?

Not heard of a R5 before, looks like you could fight off a bear with that thing

How hardcore is this trekking, no car or laptop ? My charger is powered by usb and it can be just packed away and used as a powersource in of itself for doing iphones, etc.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobile-Powe...qid=1390161707&sr=8-58&keywords=18650+charger

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CREE-XML-T6...qid=1390161591&sr=8-17&keywords=18650+charger
Compatible with: Li-ion: 26650, 22650, 18650, 17670, 18490, 17500, 17335, 16340(RCR123), 14500, 10440
Not related, these seem very cheap
http://www.amazon.co.uk/EBEST-Nitec...-37&keywords=18650+charger#productDescription

Back
Top Bottom