Spec me an LED Torch

I think what the cheaper manufacturers do is list the highest output that the type of led fitted to the torch can do rather than what the circuitry in the torch can actually make it output.

So technically the led is capable of its claimed output even if the rest of the torch isnt.

But I do agree it is misleading and must be taken with a lot of salt.

Isn't it common sense to take most things that are made in china with a pitch of salt? ;)

Seriously though, you can't regulate this, there are too many products and companies for a start. More to the point there are far more important products out there that need regulating rather than a '1000 lumen' torch that only outputs 300 lumens.

As the lights go; read reviews and forum posts. It'll give yourself a good idea as to what you'll likely to be getting.

Bought this for £2.80 delivered from Hong Kong/Chinaland from a seller on Amazon - http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B007B86KLC/ref=ox_ya_os_product

The one that arrived was the actual Cree one not the cheapo one listed for £2.80. Didn't get stung for customs either. :)

Nice, how long did yours take to come? Mine is comming from Hong Kong and was dispatched late last night? Ive ordered this........ http://www.amazon.co.uk/ULTRAFIRE-W...8&qid=1391352680&sr=8-2&keywords=ultrafire+c8. I wanted one with a large head, and the C8 fits the bill nicely.

Last edited:
What do you mean by actual CREE one? They don't make torches do they? Mine says CREE on it but as far as I know that just Ultrafire putting the logo on it

The torches of that style are all just Nitecore Extreme knock offs I think, so whatever you got, unless it was a Nitecore was the cheap Chinese knock off.

Still good though, well impressed with mine still

Last edited:
Nice, how long did yours take to come? Mine is comming from Hong Kong and was dispatched late last night? Ive ordered this........ http://www.amazon.co.uk/ULTRAFIRE-W...8&qid=1391352680&sr=8-2&keywords=ultrafire+c8. I wanted one with a large head, and the C8 fits the bill nicely.

Mine took 10 days to arrive. About same as Amazon delivery estimate.

What do you mean by actual CREE one? They don't make torches do they? Mine says CREE on it but as far as I know that just Ultrafire putting the logo on it

The torches of that style are all just Nitecore Extreme knock offs I think, so whatever you got, unless it was a Nitecore was the cheap Chinese knock off.

Still good though, well impressed with mine still

No idea but it's a damn good torch so far. It's listed for £5.10 now though.

AFAIK Cree is just the manufacturer of the LED fitted to the torch and the XM-L U2 and such like that is just the type of led fitted and that also references the bin type and what its capable of. Thats where they get their ridiculous lumen ratings even if the torch cant produce it.

Theoretical lumens, if you rebuilt the torch and drove the led properly then maybe it'd be close to max, the U3 builds do seem to last a lot longer, use less power then T6 and less heat. Just seen a 12 LED outside lamp for 18 quid and its less bright then the 3 quid cree

Sent 4th to 16th Jan was last delivery from China I had. Nothing will be shipped during Chinese new year though

Ive just come across this one http://www.trustfire.com/en/flashlight-tr-3t6-3x-cree-xm-l-t6-3800-lumens-5-modes.html

What do you think? on amazon its £20, its quite big and stupidly bright

Ive had similar, I dont recommend 3x xml T6 especially without a set of very nice batteries

Last edited:
The CREE is the lcd bulb type that the ultrafire's use.

Hence my confusion at him receiving an 'actual CREE' torch, they all have CREE LEDs and none of the torches are made by CREE themselves.

I don't think he's actually got some sort of higher quality CREE manufactured Nitecore copy, the torch he received is the 'cheapo chinese' one as he describes it, they're just not as cheapo as he obviously assumed it would be :p

The cheap chinese ones come with dirty lenses, sometimes scratches which look quite bad. The finish is worn off in places.

The 3x xml T6 arrived non working, it had come loose at some point I think. Messing round with the tail cap got it operational again.

The sanyo batteries were showing as zero charge and the tronic charger said they were now dead. I guess thats a bad charger not the batteries fault, but after 6 tries it accepted them, then in a minute said they were nearly full

*shrug* That really comes down to individual preference. When I carry an 18650-sized light I always clip it to the outside of my pocket (and have to be wary about it escaping to freedom) as they're too big for in-pocket carry.

I have a 1x AA light for in-pocket carry.

I'm sure it's a nice light but it does somewhat strain the definition of the word "compact" to me. it's 14cm long and an inch wide, so it's not exactly tiny.

What do you plan on using it for?

it'd be mainly kept in my car. in case of emergencies :) and my slightly larger torch (which is currently in the car) will now have a place at home.

i guess pocketability doesn't really come into it if it's gonna be kept in the glove compartment! :D

Back
Top Bottom