Spec me an LED Torch

I've only ever used a traditional torch and to be honest they have always been extremely poor light wise. I can only imagine what these new range of torches are like. Does no-one have any night pictures that show off the power of these things, as although they are works of art to look at, I'd like to see the sort of power they pack :D

I'm sure mrk will be along with some lovely beamshots shortly, but while we wait, my little every-day torch which runs on 1 AA battery and emits about 110 Lumens will light up an entire room to a satisfactory level (just bright enough to read a book by).

0.5 lumens, did enough to not draw attention, bright enough to see your feet and stuff in front of you in the darkness. Thousands of hours of runtime :D

Last edited:
Bump! Can anyone recommend a noobs torch/setup for general usage please? Don't want to spend more than £25 total, ideally. I've just booked a holiday where we're staying up in some cottages up a 'dark dirt track' so I'd like to get something soon.

I've just found the LED Lenser P5E at Cotswolds for £17. Any good? Happy to buy online (obviously) but I'm not far from the heap of outdoorsy shops in Covent Garden. Might go have a look at lunchtime in fact..

I don't know what I'm talking about but I'm trying to do some research :p

Last edited:
I got a bunch of these and they're amazing little torches for the price. I see that they're fulfilled by Amazon which means delivery will be far quicker than direct from HK etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-300LM...F8&qid=1407930215&sr=8-16&keywords=cree+torch

I initially bought 3, realised they were awesome, and then bought another two for around the house. I also have a Nitecore EA4 which is an amazing torch but the price is £50. These little £3 jobbies do a really good job on a single battery. Obviously I'm not comparing it to the EA4 at all, but for what you say you need, it'll work really well :)

I have a question for mrk. How much did your L2T set you back after shipping? Did you end up having to pay duty on it as well?

What's the difference between the CREE (only) ones and the ones that are branded as something else? :confused:

e.g. there's the 'CREE Q5 3W Led 350 Lumens mini Flashlight Zoomable Torch AA' (not sure if I should link) but in the picture the logo on the torch clearly says something else! :confused:

I got a bunch of these and they're amazing little torches for the price. I see that they're fulfilled by Amazon which means delivery will be far quicker than direct from HK etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-300LM...F8&qid=1407930215&sr=8-16&keywords=cree+torch

I initially bought 3, realised they were awesome, and then bought another two for around the house. I also have a Nitecore EA4 which is an amazing torch but the price is £50. These little £3 jobbies do a really good job on a single battery. Obviously I'm not comparing it to the EA4 at all, but for what you say you need, it'll work really well :)
Thanks. Ignore my question above btw, I figured it out!

What's the difference between the one you linked to and this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/UltraFire-Z...07938056&sr=8-4&keywords=UltraFire+7W+CREE+Q5

And would it be worth getting a package with charger/batteries etc? I'm thinking not.. I'm sure I've got a ton of AAs kicking around!

Thanks. Ignore my question above btw, I figured it out!

What's the difference between the one you linked to and this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/UltraFire-Z...07938056&sr=8-4&keywords=UltraFire+7W+CREE+Q5

And would it be worth getting a package with charger/batteries etc? I'm thinking not.. I'm sure I've got a ton of AAs kicking around!

I probably wouldn't bother, for a torch like that decent standard AA batteries will be more than adequate :) Just buy a 12 pack of good Duracell or Energiser batteries and you should be covered for ages :)

Cheers, I thought as much. I take it there's nowhere in the UK/Europe that sells them as cheap? Some buyers report delivery in ~2 weeks, but others have said more like 3-4. I'm going on holiday in exactly 4 weeks :p

EDIT: How can you see any of them are fulfilled by Amazon?

Last edited:
I have Amazon Prime and when I click on the link that I posted, the one sold by Coco Digital says it is fulfilled by Amazon which means they ship it from their warehouse.

If you click here and scroll down to the first Coco Digital selling it for £2.93, it says "Fulfilled by Amazon" to the right next to Add to Basket. It also says "In stock. Want delivery by Friday, 15 August? Add it to a qualifying order in the next 23 hours and 39 minutes, and choose One-Day Delivery at checkout." That's where you want to order it from.

Sorry to revive this thread. Anyone recommend me a decent torch for night time dog walks? I currently have a cheap ultrafire wf502b xml jobbie from the bay with a Panasonic 18650 and a XTAR charger.

Looking for something a bit brighter and more robust. Plus could do with a couple of new batteries.

Back
Top Bottom