Spec me an LED Torch

To be honest the cheap Chinese jobs aren't bad but I've got a q5 based c2 body which is bright but is too tightly focused to be much use and the xml based wf502b whilst nice and floody is a bit rattly.

What would people recommend for £70-80. I'm going to treat myself to a nice torch. I need batteries & a charger. To be used when I walk the dog at night. With the nights drawing in I need something with a good throw and plenty of brightness. I'd also quite like moonlight mode if possible. Is the L2T the best choice?

I was so tempted by the Massdrop sale on currently for the Tiny Monsters and the Quad one with LCD info display. A video on Youtube of a guy putting it through its paces like freezing it in a block of ice still powered on, hammering the ice to get it out, dunking it in a pond etc.

Alas, I have all the lumens I need, for now :o

^^ Check out SolarForce store, they often have bundle special deals on. I got the stainless steel limited edition above for a great price not too long ago and they have others on too.

The L2T is a great host, but due to the modular nature of the "p60" style lights, it's fairly large compared to self-contained lights.

How does something like this look;

Light, Battery, Charger

If you want a different light you could try this one which is very similar to the Fenix but the mode-switch button is at the back instead of on the side, and supposedly doesn't automatically step down the power from turbo to high like the Fenix does.

Thanks mrk & Aod.

I've gone for the battery & charger that Aod recommended and gone for the L2T and the 4mode drop in unit. There wasn't much in it when you compare the weights between them and the size didn't really worry me too much.

NOt quite a torch, but I'm currently in the process of building a 4*XM-L2 floodlight head, 12V input with a seperate LI-Po battery pack. Going to take a while (LED's from China, Custom driver PCB, custom tubular housing etc) but it should be running around 3500 Lumens for 2 hours and over 1000 for several hours once I'm done, more if I add a second battery. Will post build pics and such as I make progress!

Thanks mrk & Aod.

I've gone for the battery & charger that Aod recommended and gone for the L2T and the 4mode drop in unit. There wasn't much in it when you compare the weights between them and the size didn't really worry me too much.

Very welcome mate, sounds good :D

NOt quite a torch, but I'm currently in the process of building a 4*XM-L2 floodlight head, 12V input with a seperate LI-Po battery pack. Going to take a while (LED's from China, Custom driver PCB, custom tubular housing etc) but it should be running around 3500 Lumens for 2 hours and over 1000 for several hours once I'm done, more if I add a second battery. Will post build pics and such as I make progress!

Sounds awesome, I look forward to the pictures!

Sorry.

Not sorry :D

Edit*
Indeed the Quad is amazing and the price for that buy is amazing too. So tiny in size: 142 x 68 x 57 mm

Last edited:
Right I need some help here.

I bought this drop in: http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/solarforce/solarforce-lc-xml2-four-mode.html

And this battery: http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/batteries/eagletac-18650-3400.html (and one of the nitecore chargers).

The battery is fully charged and the bulb in but it doesn't come on when the head assembly is screwed right up tight to the body. To get the LED to come on I have to have it partially unscrewed which leaves a gap of 3-4mm between the head assembly and the body. Is this right? As soon as I tighten it up the light goes off.

edit: Sorted not - Took the spring off the drop in module. What a torch!!

Last edited:
What host has the drop-in gone into? Sounds like the drop in contacts are aligning out when fully screwed into that host's head assembly. I used to get that on my old L2 host with some drop-ins due to the different spring sizes on the back.

It's the l2t. Must admit it was a bit tight with the spring on there so I've taken that off and problem solved. The unit once inside doesn't move around. What is the spring meant to do? Just hold it in place?

Back
Top Bottom