Spec me an LED Torch

Not meaning to rip you apart as it is a personal thing. But personally (ha) I really really dislike CR2/CR123A cells. Yes they are smaller than a 18650 and their size is more suited towards the use in a light but they have a ridiculously low cell energy capacity. They are more often than not well suited to many drivers in certain lights as drivers seem to favour their voltage range... but I really dislike them and would choose AA/18650 over them any day of the week because of the increased energy density in AA and 18650 cells.

I will never own a CR2/CR123A powered light.

actually, primary (non-rechargeable) CR123A cells often have a capacity of over 1400mAh, and combined with the almost completely flat discharge-curve and the extremely high current-delivery-capabilities make CR123A cells ideal for high-powered flashlights.

why do you think that Surefire Torches used by most of the military forces in the world use CR123A cells?

why do you think that Surefire Torches used by most of the military forces in the world use CR123A cells?

They just aren't for me..

I find the CR123A cell itself is by no means superior to what else is out there in terms of capacity and more importantly availability; something which is needed in emergency situations.

Last edited:
I see CPF have gone down yet again and it looks like 4 months of posts have been lost never to be recovered.

I know the site is run part time by the owner but I think it is time the site owner has more admins/support on board. The site is up and down more frequently than whore's draws.

photo_lrg.jpg

You could say that...

3730209457_6b39455a16_o.jpg

It's like a candle in the wind

I just bought a couple more for the collection.

Zebralight H51w headlamp - This is my first neutral light.. I have a feeling I will like neutral. Never owning a neutral or warm light before I know already that my eyes get tired with cool lights. I already own the H51 which is a fantastic light. I do think headlamps are the way forward, sometimes I look at my other lights and want them to be headlamps. You lose a hand with a torch and this can be really annoying in many situations.

Tonight I also purchased a Manafont XM-L P60 drop-in. Seem to be a very good Cree XM-L drop-in. I already own a Kaidomain 5 mode XM-L 3.7v-4.2v P60 dropin which I use in a Solarforce L2P body. But I feel that this Kaidomain drop-in isn't giving me everything. I measure a tail cap current draw of 2.8amps from this drop-in.

The Manafont XM-L P60 drop-in has reports of +3.2amps from a 18650.

Mmmmm! :D

The 18650 battery has lasted ages so far for me, it's still shining close to max power and I've been on 3 exploring sessions with it!

Anyone keep feeling like they need to buy more torches? One for every possible event and that run from different batteries.. you know, just encase the world suddenly goes dark? lol

Just bought this cheapie to try out:

sku3906219063957.jpg

TrustFire R5-A3 Cree XP-E-R5 3-Mode 230-Lumen Memory LED Flashlight

Seems like one of the best budget single AA powered lights around sporting an XPG-R5 emitter. If I like it I might buy a couple more for friends/family. I might buy a 14500 and see how it likes it up it's arse. :D

Anyone keep feeling like they need to buy more torches? One for every possible event and that run from different batteries.. you know, just encase the world suddenly goes dark? lol

Seems like one of the best budget single AA powered lights around sporting an XPG-R5 emitter. If I like it I might buy a couple more for friends/family. I might buy a 14500 and see how it likes it up it's arse. :D

Haha, yep.

Let us know your thoughts on it as I'm after a single AA torch.

Beam shot, anyone? :D

A quick blast during the hindhead tunnel explore this evening

http://robbiekhan.co.uk/root/photos/stuff-room/cree-q5_beamshot.jpg

seventy-nine second exposures are cheating :p

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8643/sku3906219063957.jpg

Looks nice, remember, it's an XP-E (modern, cheaper version of the XR-E), not an XP-G, which has a larger die and much greater efficiency, but less throw.

Last edited:
seventy-nine second exposures are cheating :p

Looks nice, remember, it's an XP-E (modern, cheaper version of the XR-E), not an XP-G, which has a larger die and much greater efficiency, but less throw.

It is a listing error and is in fact an XP-G emitter, has been confirmed by quite a few people. Someone pointed out that there is no such thing as an XR-E R5 emitter :D DX can be a bit hap hazard when it comes to their naming and getting the specs of products correct.

It is a listing error and is in fact an XP-G emitter, has been confirmed by quite a few people. Someone pointed out that there is no such thing as an XR-E R5 emitter :D DX can be a bit hap hazard when it comes to their naming and getting the specs of products correct.

that's certainly true! :)

forgotten I had written in this thread, I've had enough of the rcr123's dont really want to be spending a fortune on batteries when i can get a new torch for similar money and take batteries i already have!

This is what I'm using now http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire-wf-502b-3w-cree-18650-flashlight-3371 with 2x cr123, light is good gives me light to about 250yrds and just one setting.

can I get similar that will take say 3 x AA eneloops (I have a load and a decent charger) and give me similar output to what I have now, or should I stop being a tight arse and just fork out for some decent protected rcr123's?

that is all!

Cheers

I popped home for lunch and there waiting is a package :D

It's the Zebralight H51w

h51w.png

h51whold.png

I already own the H51 (cool white version) it is one of my most used light out of my collection, often used in moonlight mode. I see much love on different forums for neutral lights and decided to see what the fuss was about, so I decided the H51w will be my first neutral.

H51w and H51
h51wandh512.jpg

Build quality as always is top notch from zebralight, seriously, if you don't already own a Zebralight, you are missing out. Just with my H51 the machining on the H51w is superb and the emitter is perfectly centred. Zebralight have a UI which is a cut above the rest in this price bracket - instant access to moonlight and full power and well spaced modes.

Baring in mind this is my first neutral light: I switched it on for the first time, my first thoughts were something along the lines of "Hmm.. well that's different!". Quite yellow and, well.. warmer (derrr!). I wasn't sure what to make of it. The tint didn't really look like what I had in mind for a neutral emitter.

I took it down to my basement along with my H51 side by side and placed them both on high mode.

Something that stood out to me straight away: Cool lights are are creepy. No doubt about it. I agree with the train of thought out there that cool lights create this surreal/end of the world/cold/bad vibe of a feeling, the camera can't capture it but I feel the creepy-ness is present. It's not until you try a neutral or warm light that you can see how unnatural and weird cool lights can look. It is a personal thing though, and I will come back to my thoughts on tint a bit later.

Allowing my eyes to adjust to this new wavelength, I walked around with the H51w for 5 minutes down in the basement, I found the light produced from the H51w to be very pleasing and easy on the eye by a massive amount. These thoughts were reinforced every time I flicked from the H51w to the H51 to compare them.

Basement:

H51
h511.jpg

H51w
h51w1.png

The camera captures the light from the H51w in a different light here, it isn't as red as the photo suggests. Daylight white balance used.

Out in the garden now:

H51
h513.png

H51w
h51w3.png

H51
h512.png

H51w
h51w2.png

It is noticeable that the light output from the H51w is less than the H51 to the eye. I am looking at it tonight and feel like I want more light output from it, having said that I am saying the same about the H51! Purely because I think I am being greedy and am forgetting that these are headlamps. I have been spoilt with a Cree XM-L being driven at 3amps in my other light.

There is a lack of punch (brightness wise) with the H51w but that lack of punch is forgotten about when you look at the beam tint, there is a punch in colours, things look.. normal. It is very very nice indeed. The H51w seems to have a nicer spread of beam compared to my H51 which has a smaller hotspot and a more harsh spot to spill nature of the beam, odd.

I really like the neutral tint. Some say once you go neutral you will not be interested in cool tints any more. It is early days and I have no intention of ditching my cool lights.. I find the sheer lumen output of cool lights appealing and fun they have *POW* factor :D! But for actual real long term usage I think neutrals are very appealing. I have only owned the light for a few hours so will see how I settle in with it.

I think the next step would be to go for a 18650 based P60 neutral drop-in which drives the emitter hard. With neutral XM-L emitters due out very soon, I think I will wait.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom