Spec me an LED Torch

this: Solarforce L2R Body combined with this: Cree XR-E 3-mode dropin while used on low or medium would suit you well i think, and you always have the option of high-mode.
no idea how much light/runtime you'll get out of it on normal Alkaline AA's, but NiHM Eneloops would probably work really nicely.

went for what you suggested from these links. spent the week reading up on these options on a few different forums and websites and got very good feedback on these as a cheap camping torch.....as one person on another forum said 'listen to the guy who specced you the solarforce body and drop in, he obviously knows what he's talking about. I have the same set up, albeit as a back up for camping trips but for price to performance you can't beat it'.......

so many thanks Aod, I'll post back and let you know what it's like in real life and how it performs when it arrives.

again many thanks for all the help

also should mention, when i said that i'd been looking at the lenser range a large number of people became very agitated and made numerous rude references, raging from the obscene to 'brand name does not mean brand quality-your paying for a badge that aint worth ****' :eek:

went for what you suggested from these links. spent the week reading up on these options on a few different forums and websites and got very good feedback on these as a cheap camping torch.....as one person on another forum said 'listen to the guy who specced you the solarforce body and drop in, he obviously knows what he's talking about. I have the same set up, albeit as a back up for camping trips but for price to performance you can't beat it'.......

so many thanks Aod, I'll post back and let you know what it's like in real life and how it performs when it arrives.

again many thanks for all the help

also should mention, when i said that i'd been looking at the lenser range a large number of people became very agitated and made numerous rude references, raging from the obscene to 'brand name does not mean brand quality-your paying for a badge that aint worth ****' :eek:

Hehehe, Good Stuff Matey, I hope it works well for you :)
you saw my post about the head-torch right?

you saw my post about the head-torch right?

i certainly did, and while they aint the purdiest looking headlamps. i've been known to do a bit of rock snorkeling when i'm doing coastal camping and these seem to be game enough to cope with that.

yet again many thanks......aint purchased one yet (because of the GF and an our up coming wedding in france that she wants, kinda limits me) but one of those of head lamps will be getting nabbed shortly.....

deeply indebted to you.....if you ever need to know how to bone, gut and cook a mackerel on a camp fire I'll youtube how!! :p

cheers mate

i certainly did, and while they aint the purdiest looking headlamps. i've been known to do a bit of rock snorkeling when i'm doing coastal camping and these seem to be game enough to cope with that.

yet again many thanks......aint purchased one yet (because of the GF and an our up coming wedding in france that she wants, kinda limits me) but one of those of head lamps will be getting nabbed shortly.....

deeply indebted to you.....if you ever need to know how to bone, gut and cook a mackerel on a camp fire I'll youtube how!! :p

cheers mate

Ah you're really very welcome Mate, it wasn't exactly hours and hours of strenuous effort :p

Good luck with the Wedding Savings ;)

My Manafont XM-L P60 drop-in finally ****** arrived yesterday.

At the tailcap I have measured that it pulls 3.2amps from a 18560 cell, insane. One thing I will say is this drop-in will determine the men from the boys with your 18650 cells, many cheap 18650 cells will be unable to have this kind of load thrown upon them.

More to follow tomorrow.. but don't be expecting any runtime graphs from me on this one in high mode. As I can guarantee the driver will destroy the LED if ran in high for longer than 10 minutes, heat is a slight issue :p.

My Manafont XM-L P60 drop-in finally ****** arrived yesterday.

At the tailcap I have measured that it pulls 3.2amps from a 18560 cell, insane. One thing I will say is this drop-in will determine the men from the boys with your 18650 cells, many cheap 18650 cells will be unable to have this kind of load on them.

sweet. how is it for melting eyeballs? :D

photos would be helpful :)

IMAG0106.jpg

That's it's belt case sitting next to it

Sorry it's so dusty it got covered in sawdust earlier

i decided that my Solarforce XM-L wasn't nearly melty-enough, so i bought an upgraded driver-circuit for it, which should feed the LED with a nice and constant 2800mA, up from the 1300mA that the current driver feeds it.

Just waiting for it to arrive from the US now i suppose.

Hmmm, an SSC P4, interesting. well, based on that it should probably do about 80 to 120 lumens, quite respectable for a £14 2xC-cell torch from Tesco :)

the Dome on those is quite gummy and tacky, dust tends to stick to it. i'd recommend you keep the head on for maximum efficiency :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom