Spec me an LED Torch

Thanks :). I'll hold off for a while and see what else they bring out before selling my tk12.

Got my Ultrafire Cree T6 3-Mode Memory LED Drop-in Module from Manafont finally. I'm really impressed for £10, very bright, a lot brighter than my TK12 and a lot more flood. Which is what I wanted.

Only criticism is that the beam is very purple, I much prefer the neutral light from my TK12. Do all drop-ins have a purple tint to the beam?

Also, not sure if this is the same LED that Khaaan! got but Ive not noticed any void in the centre of the beam, even close up.

I'll do some comparison shots later, makes my TK12 look like its not even on lol.

beam tint depends on the LED. some are a nice clean white, some are purple and some are a horrible green colour.
not really much you can do about it :(

I don't think Khaaan has his XM-L dropin yet.
oh, i reccomend that you shim the dropin to the flashlights body with tinfoil or something like that (strips of coke-can are popular). these XM-L's generate a metric craptonne of heat and if you run them for long periods of time without them being shimmed to the body the LED's will overheat and brown-out.

Last edited:
Hmm, for some reason I thought we both got the same one.

So, I just wrap it around the alu reflector, so it sits snug into the torch?

Would it be a good idea to apply some thermal paste onto the threads where the led module meets the alu reflector?

Well, yesterday was Tuesday, Today is Wednesday and tomorrow is Thursday......it better arrive dammit! I have an urbex on Friday ffs!

Hmm, for some reason I thought we both got the same one.

So, I just wrap it around the alu reflector, so it sits snug into the torch?

Would it be a good idea to apply some thermal paste onto the threads where the led module meets the alu reflector?

Yes in both cases :)

This is taking forever to come, shipped on the 11th! :(
Same here, still waiting on my L2P which shipped on the 8th!
Well, yesterday was Tuesday, Today is Wednesday and tomorrow is Thursday......it better arrive dammit! I have an urbex on Friday ffs!

It's diabolical isn't it? just rest easy in the knowledge that they'll arrive eventually :)

Last edited:
DSC_1598.jpg

Made some shims out of a relentless can. Took 2 layers to get it fitting snug, although there is still a little wiggle room but another shim would have made it not fit.

I also sanded all the paint off the outside and there was a coating on the inside of the can that I had to sand off, then polished it. Also added some MX2 thermal paste to each side of the shim before fitting it into the torch, so should hopefully help to dissipate the heat away.

It arrived!

But that's where the good news ends :p Well, mostly!

The XM-L is yellow in shade than the XP-G and C8/XR-E), see pics below. Also, even though the LED is considerably larger than the XP-G I don't find it much brighter than the XP-G, this is off an Ultrafire 2400mAh 18650 battery btw. It's possible DealXtreme sell more conservative dropins like SolarForce. The 5 modes work fine though but the yellow tint puts me off really although that's just me.

I've swapped the orange peel reflector the XM-L came with on the XP-G and I no longer have the up close = blank spot in the centre beam and the beam pattern is more even using it which is nice.

I'll probably end up putting the XM-L with glossy reflector on eBay.

xml_vs_xpg_1.jpg

XM-L / XP-G

xml_vs_xpg_2.jpg

XR-E on Ultrafire C8 / XM-L with Orangepeel on Solarforce L2

xml_vs_xpg_3.jpg

XR-E on Ultrafire C8 / XP-G with Orangepeel on Solarforce L2

L2_XP-G_oranged.jpg

This will do \m/

Last edited:
Aww, that's a shame Khaaan, it looks like you got a really manky tinted emitter :(
It also looks like it's being driven really gently, although considering that an XM-L driven fully drains enough current to cause batteries to explode, I'm not especially surprised.

Selling it on ebay is probably the best option.

Aye :(

Oh well, I got an orange peel reflector out of it making the XP-G actually very good now so its not all bad :D

I think Torch hopping is on Pause for me at the moment with the C8 and L2 catering for all my needs - Until my needs outgrow them! They're both very well built and shine very far, for now.

:D ITS ARRIVED :D

First impressions are that it's reasonably well made, not quite as nice as my Ring but i think thats purely down to the zoom ring having a little play in it, which my Ring doesnt have.

Not at home so can't compare it to the Ring in terms of light output, but first impressions are it's ****ing bright. At a certain part of the zoom the pattern is square, like the shape of the LED....quite strange to see it projected onto a wall :D

Tom.

EDIT just noticed your stuff arrived today as well: I had like 4 parcels come today that ive been waiting for, i think RM have played a trick and decided to leave everything until today for no apparant reason :p

Funnily enough mine also arrived today!

Seems very well made and is nicely weighted. It's not to the same standard as my old Fenix but this costs a fraction of the price so I'm very happy with it. Something that came as a surprise to me was that it is a forward clicky tail switch which I wasn't expecting. I have also bought a diffuser for it which will be really useful: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220775720824

Back
Top Bottom