Spec me an LED Torch

From a safety standpoint they're not great but they're quite unlikely to be dangerous, although if you get a bad example of the WF-139 then they could quite easily explode.

Cheap charger; Xtar WP2 II
Cheap Cells; well, that depends on how much you're willing to spend and whats available.

read this review-list:
http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/batteries_21.html

and this one:
http://lygte-info.dk/info/Batteries18650-2011 UK.html

And then see which of the cells from those lists you like the looks of are available cheaply :)

If you're looking for the absolute best cells, then i can give you an instant recommendation; AW's 2900mAh Protected cells. these use the Panasonic 2900mAh cells and have an actual capacity near 2900mAh even at high discharge rates. they're not cheap but they are very good.

Once again thank you mate, ive ordered the charger :) Those graphs have been quite eye opening, the Ultrafire batteries seem a bit poo in comparison to all of the other offerings! I thought they were considered the bees knees about a year or so ago, just goes to show what i know really...

so Aod or anyone else how about something like LED Lenser 7439TP T7 Tactical Light

or

something like the LED Lenser Police Tech Focus Torch

thoughts welcome
The LED lenser lights... Hmmm, the problem is most people who review them have never used a "proper" torch before, and so are somewhat jaded. I'll say that the general consensus around the modern LED-Lensers (the ones that actually have some semblance of regulation-circuitry) are that they're well made, somewhat inconvenient and highly overpriced compared to other lights.

Most of their lights use multiple AAAs or AAs in a battery carrier, a characteristic that many find to be quite aggravating.

Suffice to say, you could do a lot worse for more, but you could also do better for less.

Once again thank you mate, ive ordered the charger :) Those graphs have been quite eye opening, the Ultrafire batteries seem a bit poo in comparison to all of the other offerings! I thought they were considered the bees knees about a year or so ago, just goes to show what i know really...

You're welcome for the help Mate, i really enjoy this stuff so helping out others with is is very satisfying :)

so Aod or anyone else how about something like LED Lenser 7439TP T7 Tactical Light

or

something like the LED Lenser Police Tech Focus Torch

thoughts welcome

Have you looked at the Fenix range of torches? Aod recommended the TK11 for me, even though I ignored him and bought the more powerful TK21 :D Seems like it would suit your needs quite well?

If you are in no rush to get it you can find them cheaper from HK sellers on ebay as well. E.g the TK11 can be had for £45 whereas retail prices are around £65.

I have an LED Lenser P7 and was a bit underwhelmed with the performance and battery life compared to the price. Very good quality though.

:(

I hate that crushing disappointment when you come home or get out of bed and the postie hasn't deposited your latest gizmo :(

Code:
Maybe it has arrived today but because it's HKpost it has not arrived in the morning with Royal Mail.

THERE IS STILL HOPE!

royal mail have attempted to deliver a package today

i'm fairly certain it's going to be the bc40....also ordered off ebay via the original link you provided :)

my 2x ultafire torches have arrived with xtar charger...will post up some pics soon

Have you looked at the Fenix range of torches? Aod recommended the TK11 for me, even though I ignored him and bought the more powerful TK21 :D Seems like it would suit your needs quite well?

If you are in no rush to get it you can find them cheaper from HK sellers on ebay as well. E.g the TK11 can be had for £45 whereas retail prices are around £65.

I have an LED Lenser P7 and was a bit underwhelmed with the performance and battery life compared to the price. Very good quality though.

Thanks just having a look

I see the tk11 is around £45 but without battery n charger
285 lumens is that lots of light then?
Also what battery n charger should I go for and not in such a rush

The LED lenser lights... Hmmm, the problem is most people who review them have never used a "proper" torch before, and so are somewhat jaded. I'll say that the general consensus around the modern LED-Lensers (the ones that actually have some semblance of regulation-circuitry) are that they're well made, somewhat inconvenient and highly overpriced compared to other lights.

Most of their lights use multiple AAAs or AAs in a battery carrier, a characteristic that many find to be quite aggravating.

Suffice to say, you could do a lot worse for more, but you could also do better for less.

You're welcome for the help Mate, i really enjoy this stuff so helping out others with is is very satisfying :)

Thanks I'll read this thread more but th tk11 looks good sadly without a battery n charger within my budget

have a multimeter and some laptop batteries lying around? If so, that means that you should be able to cannibalize some of the cells from that.

Then, assuming the cells aren't completely toasted all you need is a charger, and the Xtar WP2 II is fairly cheap and unlike most cheap chargers, is also quite decent.

If you don't, decent quality 18650's aren't massively expensive, and many CPFers have cells that are more than three years old that still work fine. if you amortize the cost of the charger and cells over that time it doesn't come out to much :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom