Spec me an LED Torch

The S-mini's both have identical drive-currents of 1000mA on high. runtimes will be identical between them :)

I've got the XML and XPG versions of the Smini - the XPG is my favourite all round budget light - good spill with a nice big hotspot and reasonable throw. The XML version seems dimmer but that's because the hotspot is HUGE! It's great for going for walks due to this but it doesn't have the "wow" factor the XPG one has. Another plus side is as the xml is under driven it gives a rather neutral beam colour - which is nice as I try to get neutral versions wherever possible.

yeah, i don't usually recommend people get the XM-L one, that huge emitter with the tiny reflector is super-floody.

You'll note that i've only recommended the XP-G here :) :D

yeah, i don't usually recommend people get the XM-L one, that huge emitter with the tiny reflector is super-floody.

You'll note that i've only recommended the XP-G here :) :D

Yeah I'm the same - I'm glad I have both but if someone only want one torch, I'd reconmend the XP-G one.

Any thoughts on this guys? :)

1: It'll be nowhere near 1600lm - probably more like 500.
2: Never head of vshark.
3: Unknown brand usually have terribleregulation/efficiency.
4: It's a bit big!
5: I don't like focusable LED flashlights - I don't like the square hotspot when zoomed in and I don't like beam the artifacts when zoomed out.

There are many other flashlights I'd have for $37 dollars over that one - like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
1: It'll be nowhere near 1600lm - probably more like 500.
2: Never head of vshark.
3: Unknown brand usually have terribleregulation/efficiency.
4: It's a bit big!
5: I don't like focusable LED flashlights - I don't like the square hotspot when zoomed in and I don't like beam the artifacts when zoomed out.

There are many other flashlights I'd have for $37 dollars over that one - like this.

Thanks, would that have a fairly flood beam? The torch he has now has a good spot, so maybe a second torch with a more flooded beam would help him.

Cheers

i got my brother a ultrafire WF137 charger i have set it up and i am charging a battery for him, i'm a little concerned that the green light keeps flashing up every 2 seconds is that normal?

Thanks, would that have a fairly flood beam? The torch he has now has a good spot, so maybe a second torch with a more flooded beam would help him.

Cheers

No, the P-Rocket with an XPG in it has a tight hotspot.

If they want more flood then try the Smini XPG on the same site - or the Smini XML for nearly all flood.

You could try the P-Rocket XML and it is VERY bright with plenty of flood but the regulation isn't very good on the 2.8a drivers (linear regulation sucks) so I can't bring myself to reconmend it.

I went for the 4Sevens quark aa2 turbo recommended by amigafan2003 (thank you) in the end. Lazy option in some ways as I already have a charger and batteries :p It arrived yesterday, it fits the bill and then some. Very nice little torch, suits me fine :)

Glad to hear you like it Muban :)
Make sure you don't leave Alkalines in there, we wouldn't want to ruin your shiny new toy with horrible leaky cells :) :D

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-152/ShiningBeam-S-dsh-mini-XP-dsh-G-R5/Detail

ordering one of these for my neigbour ;)

what is the situation with ordering this from shining beam for delivery to uk i.e.

import tax ?, approx delivery time. i note the $6.75 charge for postage to uk - can that be amended in paypal payment?.

Delivery time could be three days or two weeks, tending towards longer considering the time of the year.
You probably (it depends) won't have to pay import tax. many retailers are... creative, when filling out the import-forms so that the customers don't get charged Tax and Duty :)

The shipping charge should be automatically amended to the price when you pay :)
Remember that your neighbour will either need 18650's and a charger or a supply of expensive CR123A cells to run this light.

It seems a bit too pricey for something that only has 45 minutes run time on max brightness....max brightness not being that bright either compared to torches that cost similar and of similar spec! (looking at JetBeam variants in this size btw).

i bought my self a ap pro series 120lumens torch from b&q for 20 quid, pretty good for the money..

ive also got 2 old maglites and ive bought LEDs for them, small ones getting 140 lumens and the big one 180.. pretty good for £30 for the 2..

thinking of something bigger still though..

ITP A6 POLESTAR 700 lumens £55
JETBEAM BC40 830lumens £70

not sure if i care about the extra 130lumens, hmm

the iTP A6 polestar is old and outdated, it also runs on AA batteries.

The BC40 is new and efficient with the XM-L emitter.
Aside from that, you can get a BC40 from ebay for a measly £43.86

Back
Top Bottom