Spec me an LED Torch

this is the closest you'll get without spending more than £100; http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/olight/olight-i3-eos.html

Same thing but in Stainless Steel; http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/olight/itp-a3-eos-stainless-steel.html

Thanks, bit disappointing though, why would anything better cost more than £100?

I honestly think i could make something that would work and not cost a lot, im thinking a powerful small battery of some sort and an xml in a bit of copper pipe, should do the job. :p

because it would be hand and custom made :rolleyes:

if you think you can make something, please go ahead and we'll love to see though. We'll also be happy to help you out.

because it would be hand and custom made :rolleyes:

The rolleyes wasn't necessary, no torch is worth that, especially not an aaa sized one whether it's made by hand or not, i wasn't trying to be funny, im pretty sure i actually could make something half decent myself, it wouldn't look as fancy but it would do the job, there's really not a lot that goes into these things, you can cannibalize something off the shelf and change it however you like.

The rolleyes wasn't necessary, no torch is worth that,

I disagree.

IMG_1844.jpg

i wasn't trying to be funny, im pretty sure i actually could make something half decent myself, it wouldn't look as fancy but it would do the job, there's really not a lot that goes into these things, you can cannibalize something off the shelf and change it however you like.

Will you post back here when you've made it - I for one would love to see it. I've a lot of respect for those that can make things themselves from scratch.

Any idea what LED you'll use? WIll you buy a star or mount it yourself? How about the driver? Fully regulated or tapering? Multi or single mode? What kind of switch are you thinking of? What about the reflector and lens?

Back to your original question - this is shorter than an AAA battery and only a few mm wider and puts out 180lm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree.

IMG_1844.jpg

Im not trying to offend but if you paid a lot for that thing then i think you wasted your money.

How much did it cost and what's it capable of?

Will you post back here when you've made it - I for one would love to see it. I've a lot of respect for those that can make things themselves from scratch.

Any idea what LED you'll use? WIll you buy a star or mount it yourself? How about the driver? Fully regulated or tapering? Multi or single mode? What kind of switch are you thinking of? What about the reflector and lens?

Back to your original question - this is shorter than an AAA battery and only a few mm wider and puts out 180lm.

That seems more like what im after but it's a little fatter than i would like.

I have no reason to exaggerate about making something myself, it's well within the possibility of many on the forums im sure, i am talking simple mind, nothing as fancy looking as you usually see but it would do the job and that's all i really care about, if there's anything im not happy with i can improve it, also i prefer a smooth look so that just makes the job easier.

I doubt a lot of people have the tools necessary to make anything half decent tbh :p I might have a go one day as I plan to get into metal working after seeing the stuff building candy makes.

You can even anodize aluminium yourself. Not sure it would be quite HAIII though :p

Last edited:
It is so bright i think it is quite dangerous should you shine it onto the road.

Will really have to watch where and who I point it at I think.

This is definitely the case, the torch will be blinding at more than a hundred yards.

Like with a firearm, always ensure you're shining your light in a responsible direction.

The neighbour across the road is foreign and was shouting into the night sky "WHAD YO WAN!" and stuff when I was merely shining the torch into the sky one night. He probably saw some glare and thought wtf.

Crazy fool!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom