Spec me an LED Torch

I've finally got round to ordering a C8 (just need to decide between TK21, BC25 and PC25). Now I need to think about batteries and charger. For the charger, I see that the XTAR WP2 II seems to be the one to go. Can anyone recommend a non-eBay source?

I've finally got round to ordering a C8 (just need to decide between TK21, BC25 and PC25). Now I need to think about batteries and charger. For the charger, I see that the XTAR WP2 II seems to be the one to go. Can anyone recommend a non-eBay source?

I've bought 2 from this guy.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTAR-WP2-II-14500-14650-17670-18500-18650-18700-10440-16340-3-7V-charger-/120827167167?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item1c21dc41bf
Both came pretty quickly

These sell it too but it's more
http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/lithium-ion-battery-chargers/xtar-wp2-mk2-li-ion-battery-charger-with-usb-port-charger-output.html

I have some self modified XR-E LED torches (with modified Li-on battery packs - I can power two torches from one pack for example), some cheap 'flashers' just to get me seen, and a T6 Bike light. (I have also used a P7 bike light).

By far the best for spread and useful light has to be the P7. The XM-L T6 simply has too much of a spot and not enough spread. Brilliant if you want throw for viewing things at distance, but bad for general lighting for my usage at speed. Don't get me wrong, I like the XM-L LED I just feel the better bike light is the P7. I will be experimenting with different reflectors sometime soon.

Don't screw around with cheap cack batteries like ultra/sure-fire, get decent li-on that are reliable and give close to the rating they provide.

Last edited:
Yes they should charge to 4.2 and should not discharge to less than 3.7-3.75 or thereabouts.

But you will then get naff all runtime out of them. I tested a few of my lights and all of them ran the batteries to below 3v on the stated runtime for high mode.

My TK12 ran for around 2 hours on high, but i would have had to take the batteries out after half that to stop them dropping below 3.7v.

That's purely down to the torch though?

C8: I've never actually had a battery go flat in this yet and that's been 3-4~ hours on max so far. XR-E Q5. Batteries have remain at about 3.8v after before each charge.

BC40, 1hr 15mins on max, battery goes to 3.75v.

SolarForce L2, again, never had a battery go flat but it's on an XP-G and after 3-4hours again battery reads similar to the C8. My XP-G is the runtime king from SF though.

Both of my XM-L dropins do this. One is an ultrafire from Manafont and the other is a custom made one from CPF. Both tested after dropping down to the lower mode after high mode and both were under 3v. Also tested my TK12 and it was the same.

I tried with both my Ultrafire 2400mah and also AW 2600mah.

I guess I could keep checking them and use a timer, but its a lot of messing about and impractical when I'm out on my bike.

Sorry if it's been asked in here already, but I'm thinking of getting my brother a torch for xmas. He just wants one for talking the dog for a walk really.

What's good for around £30-40?

Thanks

Aod did you manage to send the C8 back? New reflector arrived today but I have no C8 to put it in!

too much overcharging can damage them yes ^^

I've got a wf-502b xm-l t6 running off of 2xcr123a batteries, lasts about an hour and a half on max brightness.

Thinking of getting something similar but smaller and can take a single cr123a.

I see from this thread the fenix PD20 is quite popular, anything cheaper or of similar brightness to the xm-l t6 led ?

cheers!
Em

What's everyone's opinions on this Inova X5? I need a torch for about £30 (Christmas pressie) and the X5 seems to have a few good reviews, but I'd like the OcUK experts' view :D

31pxhsfyvmlsl500aa300.jpg

Sorry if it's been asked in here already, but I'm thinking of getting my brother a torch for xmas. He just wants one for talking the dog for a walk really.

What's good for around £30-40?

Thanks

Do you have to spend 30 to 40? I would be aiming to get something with a good run time rather than brightest light if it's for walking the dog. I'd probably go for something XR-E based to help with runtime, and a reasonable capacity. (I'll have a look). Also.. if he's only walking then it won't get much airflow, so you don't want it to be too bright/hot.)

Aod did you manage to send the C8 back? New reflector arrived today but I have no C8 to put it in!

too much overcharging can damage them yes ^^

Sorry Mrk :(
I'll try and get it sent (along with your Souvenir from South Africa!) today in my lunchbreak.

Back
Top Bottom