Spec me gaming machine £1500

Soldato
Looking to replace my 9700k. Budget £1500ish + build labour as will be asking ocuk to build + test if they do that? Will be re-using my current RTX 3080 for a GPU. How's this? Had considered the strix Z690 but it would need a bios update for the cpu. Do ocuk do this as part of labour cost?

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,498.81 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

For a fuller reply, here's the changes I would make:

Intel Core i7-13700F (Raptor Lake) Socket LGA1700 Processor - Retail - £359.99
Gigabyte B760 GAMING X AX (LGA 1700) DDR5 ATX Motherboard - £199.99
Kingston FURY Beast 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 PC5-48000C40 6000MHz Dual Channel Kit - £149.99

MSI MPG A850G PCIE5 UK PSU 850W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply - £129.95
(unchanged)
Phanteks Eclipse G500A D-RGB Mid-tower PC case - Satin Black - £149.98
**Promo** Phanteks M25 140mm D-RGB PWM High-Airflow Chassis Fan - Black - £0.00
Phanteks Glacier One 280MP All In One CPU Water Cooler D-RGB Black - 280mm - £129.95

Grand Total: £1,131.84 (includes delivery charge: £11.99)

Rationale:
- CPU: I'd rather have 8 P-Cores than be able to overclock. The power and cooling requirements of non-K CPUs are also a little more modest (at least, if run at stock with the limits enabled).
- Motherboard: it is fairly cheap and from what I've seen (except I haven't seen any B760 roundups), Gigabyte's lower end boards have fairly decent thermals.
- Memory: EXPO might work on Intel systems, but I'd prefer to buy XMP memory.
- PSU: PSUs seem to have gone up a lot lately, but this PSU (GX-850) was around £80-£90 not long ago and at this point, it is an old design and doesn't have a native 12/16 pin and is not ATX 3.0. I don't know if ATX 3.0 PSUs really are better at handling spikes, but the spec says they should be, so I guess I'll have to believe them. The MSI PSU reviewed fine, as did Thermaltake's GF3.
- Cooler: I don't know what the difference is between the two models, I just go with coolers on the cheaper end that have reviewed reasonably well. My understanding is the Phanteks Glacier is a decent cooler, with similar aesthetic design to the premium version, but the fans can be a bit noisy if allowed to be (or running @ full pelt).

RE1: custom builds, yes.
RE2: Z690 bios update, I'm pretty sure they would do that for you.
Thanks for your reply! I had looked at B760 boards but read somewhere that "B" boards can limit the power on the processor? Good to know about the PSU also.

Would AMD be an option for you due to its longevity of the platform ?
I should probably give AMD another chance but I have major PTSD going back a to 2012. Horrendous coil whine on a sapphire card and AM3+ Motherboard vrm on a brand new build. Poor + lengthy RMA process with the retailer as well. Never given them a look in since :D. I think I'll stick with Intel again this time.

Back
Top Bottom