Spec me please

Soldato
Hi,

I have £500 to spend on a new rig please can someone provide a spec?

I would like it to have a dual processor (AMD), an SLI mobo, I need a PSU, a nice case, excellent graphics card and a HSF...with keyboard n mouse.

I already have 2 IDE HDD's so won't be needing any of those....

If the costs are over £500 do not worry as I would like to have a good graphics card that is future proof...

I wont be overclocking as I don't know how to...

Please help

Thanks in advance...

I was thinking more of :

2gig ram dunno which make, whats the difference?
A 512mb card not 256 prob nvidia as opposed to ati dont ask me why
A 580w psu
A 4200

Like I said dont mind if it exceeds 500 however must be capable of handling vista and be furture proof.....

You forgot keyboard n mouse.....hmmmm

Thanks so far really appreciate ya help

I was really hoping to order everything last night.....any responses would be deeply appreciated

Thanks

P.s. can you kindly help me answer these questions?

1) What the diff between Geil 2gig Ram and lets say OCUK 2 gig ram? Is it all to do with the make only?

2) Graphics card : It was suggested I go for the 7800 256mb however I thought a card with a higher mb i.e. 512 would be better? Please explain this further...

3) Also I was of the thinking to run an SLI mobo and dual processor you need at least 580w to make it future proof? Is this correct?

4) I have seen a lot of DFI lan Party mobo being suggested when ppl are requesting a spec however is this mobo as quiet and as good as the Asus mobo?

5) Whats a Dx10 card? how do they differ from non Dx10 cards? Is it worth me waiting for one instead of paying a lot of money out now?

6) Why do people have 2 gfx cards now instead of 1 other than the reason more is better? Would I need 2? Especially if I am building a rig with these bits? Is there 1 card equivilant to 2 or is that just a no no? Sorry may seem a silly question but I thought I'd ask lol

I just wanna get the right parts so I wont have to upgrade for the next year.....please help?

Last edited:
How future proof is the X1800XT 256mb ? The 485w PSU? I dont know why I think I should be going for the 7800 512mb? which card is better?

Does the case have screws? Or is it slots?

Can I attach 3 x 300gig drives to this mobo will the case allow this?

I cant help thinking I should be getting a amd 4200 dual at the minimum??

@ Explicit:

Why would I be shooting myself in the foot if I failed to consider your second option?

Thanks for all your help guys hopefully I can place an order tonight....

How future proof are the rigs you guys have suggested?

I like playing COD2 online and other similar games will these rigs handle these games on max settings?

How quiet would these suggested rigs be?

Please help.......thank you very much indeed especially keep the price to a minimum you guys are great :-)

is the 512mb version of X1800 a lot better than the 256mb? Do u think I will be ok with 256mb or I should pay the lil extra for 512mb?

Is the psu 485 sufficient?

Is this mobo SLI?

So what cpu do u think I am better off getting? Considering I dont really want to overclock becuz I don't know how? IS the 4400 a lot more dearer than the 3800?

Should I get 1 SATA drive to handle windows and all other programs and keep the other 2 IDE drives for whatever I need? Why do people have 1 sata at 80g and then use IDE drives? If yes please suggest a SATA drive?

thanks a lot really appreciate your help

well thanks for all your help and to everyone else I really do appreciate it.....

My head hurts lol

I will delay my order for the moment as I am convinced I maybe able to get a better spec for the same money give or take, I think....

Will carry on figuring it out tomoz....

P.S. I guess I always thought SLI was better than crossfire and nvidia cards were better than ati's......for overclocking and everything else....however I have found out otherwise now so I guess before I part with my cash a lil more research wouldn't hurt....

thanks peeps :-)

Back
Top Bottom