Spec me some healthy takeaways

Soldato
I usually go for chicken tikka with a large mixed salad from the local Indian takeaway if I want something healthy.

I just bin any sauce or rice that it comes with.

Soldato
Depends where you live and what is available. If you're in a big city with Deliveroo/Uber Eats then you can pretty much order from any restaurant.

If you're limited to the regular Indians, Kebabs, Fish & Chips, and Pizza then it is more difficult. As m@rty says, decent Indian tandoori items from the grill menu are a good shout for lean tasty takeaway.

Associate
I agree with everyone else. Any kebab that is lean meat, with salad and a small pitta wouldn't have too much fat and would be a pretty balanced meal.

Caporegime
Kebab - chicken or lamb shish with plenty of salad
Indian - tikka or tandoori chicken with salad and plain rice, no creamy sauces like masala or korma
Pizza - all quite unhealthy, but best stick to veggie pizzas rather than fatty meats like pepperoni
Chinese - pretty much everything in a Chinese is unhealthy. It’s all fried and doesn’t contain hardly any goodness at all

This is a handy webpage https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/healthier-takeaways/

Caporegime
General statement there, although I think you mean plain boiled rice? If so yes you are correct.

I would even go far as to say fried rice is healthier than pitta if it's fried using coconut oil.

Pitta is made from flour. Flour has been refined from grains. Whereas rice is in it's natural state. Rice comes out of the ground looking like rice. There is no processing, refining or manipulation. Flour on the other hand is milled down from grain.

Both are carbohydrates. One in it's pure form the other in it's refined form.

Rice will therefore always be healthier. Frying with vegetable oils which are unnatural will then put them into the same "refined" category as pitta.

It's a common misconception fat and therefore frying is bad. However coconut oil is one of the healthiest things you can eat.

Soldato
My current choice is half a tandoori chicken, tandoori lamb, seek kebab and salad with yogurt sauce.
People need to get it out of their heads that all fats are bad.

Associate
I would even go far as to say fried rice is healthier than pitta if it's fried using coconut oil.

Pitta is made from flour. Flour has been refined from grains. Whereas rice is in it's natural state. Rice comes out of the ground looking like rice. There is no processing, refining or manipulation. Flour on the other hand is milled down from grain.

Both are carbohydrates. One in it's pure form the other in it's refined form.

Rice will therefore always be healthier. Frying with vegetable oils which are unnatural will then put them into the same "refined" category as pitta.

It's a common misconception fat and therefore frying is bad. However coconut oil is one of the healthiest things you can eat.

I think that's a big if. Most takeaway places will use the cheapest oil they can find. Coconut oil is very expensive per ml.

I am no expert but I think rice is still processed. I just had quick check online and found a bit of info about this.

The point of this thread was to recommend better choices when ordering takeaway's not how to make healthy food at home, maybe you should start a thread talking about healthy home cooked meals?

So what would you order from a takeaway where you come from?

Associate
My current choice is half a tandoori chicken, tandoori lamb, seek kebab and salad with yogurt sauce.
People need to get it out of their heads that all fats are bad.

Fats are not bad at all. The only thing to remember about fats is they are very high in calories. If you are not burning this off then you are going to be putting on a few pounds.

Also you wouldn't have any carbs? Maybe some boiled rice with a little curry sauce?

Back
Top Bottom