Spec me up some cleaning kit

GT3

GT3

Soldato
I've never really bothered cleaning my car other than with a sponge and turtle wax shampoo/wax. Now I've got a car with really good condition paintwork I would like to keep it that way. Got some megs alloy wheel cleaner but need advice on tar/bug remover, shampoo, wax and polishes and cloths/applicators.

Not bothered about removing every last swirl mark as with it not being a dark mettalic colour it doesn't really show up and theres no major scratches so no worries there. Don't really want to spent tonnes but don't want cheap crap. I know a lot of people tend to go with megs stuff but if anyone has reccomendations on other brands then that would be great.

Soldato
I just use cheap shampoo, I don't see the need to spend more on it if you giving it a proper clean.

For bug/tar you can't beat a good claybar, 3M one is excellent but megs is fine.

I use super resin AG to polish simply as you don't really need to wax after, and if I can be bothered I will with NXT tech megs stuff, as it's the best I've used on metallic black.

As for polish cloths go to a supermarket and buy some microfiber cloths, don't get ripped in halfords for them.

Get a decent soft wool mit too, it will stop you getting swirls, DON'T use a sponge.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its up to you how much you spend, but you can notice the difference between cheap stuff and more premium stuff, like between turtlewax and Meguiars. I recommend you carry on using Meguiars. Not really much of a help, but I will tell you what I used on mine.

I spent around £100 on mine with a small discount involved. It has worked really well, even though you cant tell that much from the pics!

Cleaning Kit
This is a list of what I have in order of cleaning sequence.

- Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo
- Lambs Wool Wash Mitt
- Some sort of drying cloth (light blue) - works better than a shammy
- Meguiars All Wheel Cleaner
- Meguiars Endurance High Gloss Tire Gel
- Autoglym Tar Remover - crap, waste of money
- Meguiars Quick Clay - best product I have used on the car - works better -than the tar remover.
- Einzett (1Z) Waxpolish Soft - Instructions were in German but I think I got it right!
- Poorboys EXP Sealant
- PoorBoys Natty Paste Wax
- Sponge Applicators
- Microfibre Cloths.

Spent about 6 hours yesterday doing it, and it came out well. Still a few swirl marks, but I will do more than 1 coat of polish next time, or maybe try a different one.

Heres a couple of pics, you cant really tell how clean it is, because of my rubbish camera and the fact its a silver car with a high metallic content in the paint.

Email me if you want the name of a good supplier.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Soldato
ash7jar said:
the pic of your car mate why is the front wing a different colour :confused:

LOL, I dont know! Just went out to look at it and it doesnt look a different colour. HPI report is clear too :confused: Hope its a trick of the lens.

The bump strip is the same colour as the wing.

GT3

GT3

Soldato
OP
Well was looking to go out and buy the products in the morning so depends where the supplier is but I was thinking of just popping to halfords.

How much do you think I should spend on say a shampoo, polish, wax, claybar and some towels/cleaning mit.

panthro said:
LOL, I dont know! Just went out to look at it and it doesnt look a different colour. HPI report is clear too :confused: Hope its a trick of the lens.

Plastic wing perhaps causing it?

Soldato
GT3 said:
Well was looking to go out and buy the products in the morning so depends where the supplier is but I was thinking of just popping to halfords.

How much do you think I should spend on say a shampoo, polish, wax, claybar and some towels/cleaning mit.

Plastic wing perhaps causing it?
thats probbably true.
You can buy cheapo washing stuff,,
buy gold class wax - tenner
super resin polish - 6 quid
quik clay - 12
8 quid on a lamb mitt
pound or so on a towel (try poundland or tesco)
for washing buy turtlewax stuff, its 3 for 2 in halfrauds, so you can buy some bug and tar remover and some rims cleaner too.- tenner

total
50 quid or so.

GT3

GT3

Soldato
OP
Right got the following:

Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo
Meguiars Gold Class Wax
Meguiars Gold Class bumper/Trim detailer/restorer
Turtlewax Alloy cleaner
Turtlewax tyre black
Turtlewax glass polish

Tesco microfibre cloths, alloy wheel brush, polish applicators, polishing cloths, assorted rags, chamois, bug remover and microfibre sponge.

But can't find anywhere that sells the Quik Clay or polish. Any ideas of a local store because halfords don't have any in stock round here :(

Soldato
I only know of some halfords that sell it, I usually buy mine from a local dealer (wokingham). You should really use the clay, then polish, seal and wax, or polish and wax.

GT3

GT3

Soldato
OP
panthro said:
You should really use the clay, then polish, seal and wax, or polish and wax.

Yep thats what I'm planning on doing, all I've done so far is given the car and wheels a good shampoo wash. So need the clay bar so i can get on with the next steps!

Back
Top Bottom