Spec my mother a doorbell

Soldato
Very simple, I hope: my mother needs a new doorbell as her current one is broken. But I don't know where to start. Her broken one is battery powered with a wired button and very old.

She has wifi and an iPad of recent vintage so a camera doorbell is possible, but she's 88 so that side of it has got to be very simple indeed, and function as a normal doorbell. The wifi router is at the other end of the house from the front door.

Personally I would go with a standard doorbell, £20 plug in a 3 pin plug battery operated door press. Then if required, something like a Nest Cam filming constantly and view through a tablet. You could also have access to the Nest Cam (or similar) if you felt the need to view

Last edited:
I guess a Ring doorbell is worth considering as they seem to be popular. I don't have one so couldn't comment on usability. They do allow you to talk to the person though, and they can ring a mobile phone.

I bought a £5.99 rubbish one on ebay, the postman broke it and it was generally rubbish.

So i bought a Byron battery one for about £12 and it seems good so far.

I know I said get mains powered, but if you just want a quick and easy replacement, then you could try a battery powered wireless solution like this. For £12.50 you could always try something else if it's no good, but it gets decent reviews:

Just to update the thread I purchased and fitted the Byron @radderfire suggested, it's survived initial testing, and she's very happy. Naturally it took forever to arrive over Christmas.

She decided she didn't want a video doorbell: it was too much of a faff for her.

Last edited:
ive just fitted an Aqara g4 video doorbell for my 83Y old mother. can use battery's or power from the old bell wire (ive yet to use this as i need a new transformer for the bell), took about 20 mins to fit.
it uses a app what was very easy to setup and not only can she see who at the door she can talk to them via the app as well. I too can also see (and talk) vis the app on my phone.
over all i like it very much

Back
Top Bottom