Speeding ticket sent to wrong address

Associate
Hi everyone.

So I got caught speeding by an officer on new year's eve. I also recently moved house and hadn't changed the details on my licence. The officer took my details from my licence. I explained to him that I moved house and gave them my new address. He took it down and said he'd get them to send it to that address. 20 days later, I haven't heard anything. I'm not sure what to do. Not sure if I have a legal right to dispute it if it catches up with me, or if I should contact someone to explain the situation.

I have since applied to update my driving licence so I'm waiting to receive my new licence.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

It gets sent to the vehicles registered address, not the driving licenses address. Or the last two I've had have been this way.

Thanks for the reply.

The car isn't registered at my new address yet. I'm doing that tonight. He told me he would make sure the ticket got sent to the address I provided to him.

I had one sent to an old address as I'd moved between being pulled over and the paperwork arriving even though I'd updated address/v5 months previous to the paperwork arriving.

I also advised them of my new address when I sent my response, they still sent the final paperwork to the old address.

Luckily I still know the people living there but I wouldn't hold out much hope of the ticket making it to your new address, I don't think you'll have any comeback though as you've not updated your licence/v5.

Thank you. I've never had a speeding ticket before. Am I right in saying I would have 28 days to pay it? As I'm still within that time frame, would it be wise to send an email to the local constabulary? I guess if anything I would have dated correspondence within the time frame to help with a defense, if it got that far.

Whatever the address you gave, is the address the ticket will come through to. As you have been pulled over and been given an NIP at the side of the road the 14 days doesn't apply. The letter may take several weeks into months to turn up.

Also, don't you have a mail redirect set up anyway?

Back
Top Bottom