SpiralLinux: Anonymous creator of GeckoLinux puts out new Debian remix

Soldato
OP
VLC?

Who the hell uses VLC with QT5 libraries on a Gnome desktop in 2022, I assume the developer is one of those old clever greybeards that's out of touch?

Soldato
OP
Apparently he has removed AppArmor for no other reason than he doesn't think it's necessary and decided not to mention it.

A great project ruined by some really bizarre choices.

Soldato
OP
That is unfortunate, if that's the case.

AppArmor not automatically installed

geckolinux (spiral Linux Dev)

For the general usage profile of a desktop system behind a NAT firewall using vetted packages from the official Debian and/or Flathub repositories it doesn't seem necessary. Feel free to install it though if desired.

I couldn't find the original reddit post but i found this at the project page, his attitude towards it is even worse than i thought.

Personally I prefer Devuan

Retrying the latest Devuan and Debian non-free are on my todo list as i keep seeing people say that they are now having a much better user experience with them than using Ubuntu or PopOs! though i do plan on giving PopOs! another try. LMDE is nice but cinnamon is showing it's age and they still haven't solved the memory bug other than to have a memory limit before the desktop re-starts itself.

I never planned on changing from Ubuntu and vowed to stop distro hoping but Ubuntu is starting to feel clunky, buggy, bloated and sluggish and a important app like Gnome-Authenticator is broken on Ubuntu yet works perfectly on Debian and the Ubuntu Devs just ignore it.

Don't know what is going on with Ubuntu and i don't know if you noticed that the lead developers Alan Pope and Martin Wimpress buggered off and left the project within a couple of weeks of each other and Popey has now put out a tool called unsnap to remove snaps from Ubuntu and he also put out some tweet that basically said he had concerns with snap but Canonical wasn't prepared to listen, i can't remember if he said it or if it was someone else that Canonical is heading towards corporate dictatorship rather than being a public project.

Back
Top Bottom