SQL Help!

Soldato
Hi,

I would like to update a table but am not sure of the most effecient way to do it for this scenario:

selection.png

What I want to do is set column 4 = II where it's shaded grey.

The logic behind it is to update records where for a set combination of column 2 and column 3 there are zero records with column 4 = II.

Hi all

Thanks for the feedback! :)

To clarify, there are 100m rows in this table, with around 50k unique values in column 2, 10k unique values in column 3 (though not all are present for every column 2 value, as in the example, and there's no pattern) and a dozen unique values for column 4! The table is keyed on column 1, and there can be valid duplications of column 2 + 3 + 4 - the column 1 key joins to another table with further information that allows you to resolve the duplicates, but that's not important for now. This is a 20 year old database structure with tens of billions of records in total (hence why it's still around!), so don't blame me for it :p

That all unfortunately means the queries with IN ('x', 'y') etc. are out of the question - I really need the logicality of it rather than the absolute according to the table I showed in the opening post.
From the wording I assume that it's just the value of column 4 that is the key, i.e. whatever is in columns 2 and 3, then if, for the combination of values, there is no entry with a II in column 4 then do the update.
Absolutely correct - the values in column 2 and 3 are effectively irrelevant, it's just their combination that's important - if for that combination there is no column 4 value equal to 'II', then set column 4 equal to 'II' where it is 'I' for that combination.

Looking at your SQL, could I simply set column 4 = 'II' where column 4 = 'I' and the column 1 from your select query?

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom