SQL Server Guru's - How Do I Warehouse A Database

Associate
Apologies if I'm using the incorrect terminology.

Our main application has been warehoused by a third party and I want to learn how to do this.

Is there a specific application I need to use? What are the general guidelines?

A step by step guide would be brilliant! :D

Thanks!

Ok I think I need to back up a bit.

We already have a data warehouse which I use to create reports etc. but I didn't implement it. This contains data from one of our main systems.

I'd say I'm compentent in SQL, but I've never been exposed to the need to 'warehouse' a database myself, so I'd like to learn.

I do understand for the mostpart what a warehouse is, so I suppose a step by step guide was not the right thing to ask for.

I suppose I'm asking for the methods behind it e.g. is it really as 'simple' as scheduling them to run as jobs in SQL Server Agent?

Thanks,

Slight thread revival!

That's my reason behind wanting to know more really, we pay someone silly money to to warehouse our main application for reporting purposes and I want in! :D

So to start myself off, we have another smaller application which isn't warehoused, and I'd like to have a crack at doing so.

I've started with some SSIS packages and transferred a few tables across, but wondered if there must be more to it than this e.g. performance tweaks, configs, naming conventions etc.

Back
Top Bottom